Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: High anxiety over 2 year old with periodic blood on stool.  (Read 287 times)

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
So if anyone has been around the last several months you know how high my health anxiety is and my own personal saga with blood on stool and fear if colon cancer. After ruling my bleeding issue to be small benign polyp and internal hemorrhoids my anxiety has own switched to my 2 year old who also has this issue. I am not kidding his issue started with in days of me noticing blood on my stools. He was 13 months at the tine. He has been extremely constipated since about 9 months old. He passes very very large hard stools. That's when I see blood. When I use methods to try and soften his stool there is no bleeding. He is growing well and has no medical concerns. His doctor and nutritionist think it's recurrent fissures from the large stool but I just don't know . I see blood on 95% of his large stools. It's always fresh, a very small amount and it's never when I wipe him. I am so concerned he could have a polyp too? When do I know it's worth putting him through a coloscopy? I am making him an appt with our ped next week!   
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: High anxiety over 2 year old with periodic blood on stool.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 04:49:57 PM »
Passing this onto your kids is not something you want to do.  I agree with your doc.  Have u talked to a mental health professional yet?
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 05:49:47 PM »
I'm really not trying to carry my HA over to my children I just really worry. I have fears he could have a very rare rectal tumor or something going on and we are dusting it under the rug because of his age. I haven't seen a mental health professional yet because I really do feel like I'm improving. I am just very worried about my little boy
Bookmark and Share

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 06:49:24 PM »
I would be alarmed too. I don't imagine blood in a child's poo is too common. I try to trust doctors, but I find that, oftentimes, they just guess without really investigating, esp the more general ones like family docs, OB/GYNs, pediatricians, etc. I think you're wise to make an appointment.
Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 08:22:48 PM »
I went thru this with my now 4 year old and it was a nightmare for me. Like you I imagined the worst. It ended up being fissures from constipation. She still gets the fissure and blood from time to time if her stools are hard. 3 things that worked for us
- Miralax on a daily basis - pedi said its totally safe. We gave her half cap
- Purple desitin every night to heal the fissure... this was a MIRACLE. I used all kids of ointments and nothing healed her fissure like the PURPLE desitin this one http://www.amazon.com/Desitin-Maximum-Strength-Paste-4-Ounce/dp/B003O32P8U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401409162&sr=8-1&keywords=desitin
- Add more fiber into the diet... lots of and lots of fruit. I give her fruit everyday (avoid bananas if possible). My LO loves cantaloupe, watermelon, blueberries, pears. Also add more veggies.... sweet potatoes work great as well.

Good luck I know how frustrating and scary it is to see blood in their stool....It was driving me insane! But it all workout at the end!
Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Offline PandaNinja

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Look for the Light
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 08:36:22 PM »
There are so many other possibilitys besides cancer. :) It could be hemorrhoids, a fissure, the possibilitys are endless. I get blood in my stool sometimes from straining too hard. Try not to jump from A to Z and let the doctors do the doctoring. :)
Bookmark and Share
"Be on the watch, the Gods will offer you chances, know them and take them. You can't beat death, but you can beat death in life. Sometimes the more often you learn to do it, the more light there will be. You are marvelous, and the gods wait to delight in you." - Charles Bukowski, The Laughing Heart

Offline Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 09:32:33 PM »
I went thru this with my now 4 year old and it was a nightmare for me. Like you I imagined the worst. It ended up being fissures from constipation. She still gets the fissure and blood from time to time if her stools are hard. 3 things that worked for us
- Miralax on a daily basis - pedi said its totally safe. We gave her half cap
- Purple desitin every night to heal the fissure... this was a MIRACLE. I used all kids of ointments and nothing healed her fissure like the PURPLE desitin this one http://www.amazon.com/Desitin-Maximum-Strength-Paste-4-Ounce/dp/B003O32P8U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401409162&sr=8-1&keywords=desitin
- Add more fiber into the diet... lots of and lots of fruit. I give her fruit everyday (avoid bananas if possible). My LO loves cantaloupe, watermelon, blueberries, pears. Also add more veggies.... sweet potatoes work great as well.

Good luck I know how frustrating and scary it is to see blood in their stool....It was driving me insane! But it all workout at the end!

THANK YOU!!! Good to hear it could be a stubborn fissure! We LOVE purple desitin however we don't use it nightly. Good to know. His nutritionist (working with her because he had recurrent tonsillitis from 5 months - 17 months and had his tonsils removed at 17 months old) and she has started him on Miralax daily however it's hard getting it into his diet because he loves milk and only wants it to drink and you shouldn't mix it in milk. Today we tried it in lemonade and it worked :) I am just so worried. I know blood on toddler stool is very common and almost always fissures but my anxiety doesn't help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 09:46:32 PM »
It's almost always a fissure with bleeding exacerbated by constipation.  I mean if a child has some sort of 1 in 20 million type of colon cancer I would expect them to have some failure to thrive especially if it's bleeding.  If the child is eating, gaining weight, playing, looking healthy but has occasional constipation with bleeding then the VAST majority of the time this is a fissure.  Your pediatrician knows this, and when it sometimes appears your doc is blowing something off he has likely just ran through 10 things in his head looking for red flags, reasons to pursue further work up. 
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 10:23:37 PM »
I'm sure it's just a fissure.  I know it's so hard.  For some reason, my HA is 10x worse over my kid but I never pass it down to her.  I have a friend who does this and her poor child has had 3 scopes and he's only 7.  It's very sad.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PandaNinja

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Look for the Light
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 10:32:47 PM »
I'm sure it's just a fissure.  I know it's so hard.  For some reason, my HA is 10x worse over my kid but I never pass it down to her.  I have a friend who does this and her poor child has had 3 scopes and he's only 7.  It's very sad.

That is sad...

Yeah... as hard as it is, try not to be that person.
Bookmark and Share
"Be on the watch, the Gods will offer you chances, know them and take them. You can't beat death, but you can beat death in life. Sometimes the more often you learn to do it, the more light there will be. You are marvelous, and the gods wait to delight in you." - Charles Bukowski, The Laughing Heart

Tags: