Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: What could this coughing be? ): Lung cancer?  (Read 154 times)

Offline nuggydug

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
What could this coughing be? ): Lung cancer?
« on: May 29, 2014, 03:47:23 PM »
Hello! I'm a 19 year old girl and I'm terrified I have lung cancer. The main symptom I have is a cough. But this cough has been on and off for at least a month or more. I don't always feel it but when I do, it's kind of bad. I live around a smoker (my grandmother) and im terrified I have lung cancer from her second hand smoke.

The cough is very chesty. It chokes me sometimes and it's not a cough that you'd get during a cold, I don't think. Possibly but I'm not sure. The only other symptom I have lately is a slight headache when I cough, but nothing else. I definitely have wheezy breathing, but those are the only few symptoms. If I try to breathe deeply sometimes it just makes me cough. I also have to clear my throat often but I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the cough. My grandparents say it's probably just allergies but I have never had allergies. And I'm sure if this was a cold it'd be gone in a week (and would also have other symptoms)

I'm too afraid to look up lung cancer symptoms, but what do you think this cough is? I'm POSITIVE it's something serious because it's been on and off over a month (of course it's worse when I focus on it)  and I feel it almost every day. Then again every single thing I think is wrong is always fine. I just really want to know what this cough sounds like to you all. Thank you guys!
Bookmark and Share

Offline rap_Talon

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What could this coughing be? ): Lung cancer?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 04:39:55 PM »
If your only symptom if coughing, then you've nothing to worry about in terms of lung cancer. That would have other, more obvious symptoms. That's not to say it's completely harmless though. You should see a doctor, because although it's likely just allergy or irritation from dust and stuff, it never hurts to have these things checked by somebody who knows what to look for :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline PsalmSeven

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What could this coughing be? ): Lung cancer?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 05:04:46 PM »
There are many things that could cause a cough like that, but the chances of it being serious are extremely small. I've known a lot of people who had a long-lasting cough that turned out to be just asthma, or allergies, or even walking pneumonia (which isn't as scary as it sounds). My daughter had a cough and wheezing that ended up being a combination of asthma and bronchial infection. My dad also had something that made him cough for over a month, but the doc said it would go away on its own, and it did. It is also possible for adults to develop allergies suddenly, so your grandparents could be right about that. Probably the only way to know for sure is to see a doctor.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: