Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety and Insomnia major worries. What does this sound like to you?  (Read 79 times)

Offline Squirrels

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi there!
Good to meet you and happy we can all share our experiences and help each other out, in some way.
:action-smiley-065:

I have no idea whether I have a genuine health problem right now, or whether its "just" anxiety. (I really hope its not a physical illness of course and if it is "just" anxiety, then I really need to get this sorted as its still hugely distressing).

Over a month ago, I had a sort of cold/virus thing and stayed in bed for the weekend, I managed to sleep through alot of the sinus/migraine type of headaches and high temperature. I then felt super alert the day after, especially having so much sleep. I went to bed in the early hours of the morning. After an hour of trying to sleep I suddenly started fearing that the sun would rise and I wouldn't be able to get to sleep. The fear seemed quite intense for a short time. I couldn't sleep at all for the rest of that night into the morning. I had a quick look at some medical sites and read about mental diseases that can actually stop you from sleeping.
I had been finding it hard to wake up on time for work leading up to this incident, and coupled with the cold I'd just had, I really began to worry that I'd contracted some sort of illness that could stop me sleeping.

After a few days of this, I was prescribed a benzo, which sometimes helps, sometimes doesn't. Since the initial incident, I've had a wildly confusing and unpredictable pattern of sleeping and anxiety feelings. There is no consistency from day to day. Some nights I will sleep for seven hours even with no medication. Some nights I have had medication and not slept not even for half an hour. Often (especially when on medication) I'll sleep for four hours and wake up, usually around 5am. I've kept a sleep diary, and it appears that this pattern is getting even more erratic, each day and night is different. With the anxiety- sometimes I have a slow, deep pulsing in my stomach, sometimes not. Sometimes I have chest tightness, sometimes not. Sometimes I don't feel consciously stressed, and yet still can't sleep. The sheer inconsistency of the sleep patterns and physical sensations is really upsetting, as I never know how I'll feel from literally one day to the next, and of course, some days I'll have had no sleep for days, and sometimes I feel rested and back to my old self after having rest.

I've been to see doctors, etc, but there's a no interest in finding out why this could be happening, they just dispense drugs (if I'm lucky) and tell me to go away.

I have had incidents in the past where I've suffered anxiety-related physical symptoms for periods of time before they resolve themselves, and the anxieties have been about various things. I do worry easily about illnesses, and have gotten scared by symptoms every few years. Last winter I was convinced I was in danger of a detached retina because I have a persistent floater in my eye. I became panicked for a day or too and asked for eye tests from the opticians. So far, nothing bad has happened with my eyes, so I guess that incident was a case of hypochondria.

Not sleeping has been one of my major phobias since I was little, despite the fact that I actually very rarely think about it (usually once every few years I'll have very brief insomnia for and worry for a night or too at most and then its gone). I'm worn out the whole cycle, and have no idea whether this is anxiety or physical, because doctors don't want to conduct any tests. What worries me alot, is that I haven't had this level of panic and insomnia in this combination before.

Has anyone had similar issues? Thank you for reading.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Debmar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi there.  Yes that is one of the things I'm dealing with right now.  Started with a couple of nights of waking up due to back pain and not being able to go back to sleep.  Now I have issues staying asleep more than a few hours with  or without back pain. I'm sure it's the fear of not being able to sleep,  I think if we can get our anxiety under control we will sleep again.  At least I hope so! My question is how do we get our anxiety under control! Have you tried melatonin to get back to sleep ?  Good luck  to you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Squirrels

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi, thanks for replying.

No, I haven't tried melatonin as the doctor won't prescribe it. I have major anxiety about falling asleep now, yes. I wake up anxious, too, alot of the time. Good luck to you, too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Debmar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
You can buy melatonin at any pharmacy.  Over the counter.  It's safe and supposedly natural.  Helps much of the time.
Bookmark and Share

Online patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I think you've gotten caught up on focusing on not sleeping and it's become a self fulfilling prophecy. 

Let's see if we can't take some steps to help you along.  For the next few days:

1 - eliminate alcohol from your diet
2 - whatever caffeine you usually have, cut it in half
3 - start to drink chamomile tea - especially before bed
4 - greatly reduce your sugar (in all forms) starting in the afternoon
5 - stop watching TV, using a computer/iPad/smartphone etc an hour before bed
6 - go to bed at the same time

Hopefully this will all relax you enough to start to get some rest.

Bookmark and Share