Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: rusty razor... tetanus?  (Read 135 times)

Offline topuklu

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
rusty razor... tetanus?
« on: May 29, 2014, 08:52:28 AM »
Hello all,
i slightly cut myself while i was shaving in the shower cabin. then i realize the razor was a little rusty. bleeding was only like a red dot on the napkin. but i'm so scared, is it possible to get tetanus from that razor? can tetanus bacteria grow at indoor, maybe a shower cabin? please reassure me :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Beth0810

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: rusty razor... tetanus?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 10:30:44 AM »
If you bled, you are fine.  Tetanus doesn't grow in rust.  It grows in dirt where there is no oxygen. Do you have horse poop in your shower?   :spineyes:

If not, nothing to worry about.   :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share

Offline amyjeannie

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 11:01:57 AM »
I had the same fear a couple months ago. I was working in my college cafeteria and cut myself on what appeared to be rust. I called the insurance nurse and they told me to go get a tetanus booster just in case. I did and the doctor couldn't even see the cut, that's how small it was, but since I freaked out and hadn't had a booster shot in 9 1/2 years they gave me one. When I went back to work my boss told me it wasn't even rust, just dark red paint  :spineyes:

Anyway, I suggested a tetanus booster if you haven't had one in the last five years. It's really simple and good to get one anyway and will kill the tetanus if you did get it, which I doubt you did! Hope this helps!
Bookmark and Share
Philippians 4:4-9

Offline Beth0810

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 04:09:09 PM »
Yikes!  No booster needed if you had the shots as a kid.   In the UK, they only give the baby shots and that's good for life.  You are fine.  Blood=oxygen= tetanus can't grow.  If you bled, no tetanus can grow.  Again rust does NOT mean tetanus.  Tetanus lives in horse poop and dirt- the reason the rust myth came around is that people used to step on rusty nails from horse shoes that had tetanus bacteria on them.  It has nothing to do with rust.  It's dirt.  Outside.  And horsepoop.  You don't have those in your shower, and you bled- so it's not going to be anything.  Tetanus only grows in DEEP PUNCTURE wounds.  Think about the nature of those wounds- they don't bleed much.  A cut from a razor?  You're good. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline amyjeannie

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 07:31:20 PM »
Wow really?!? That's pretty cool! Yeah here in the US you get them as a baby and then I think once you're like 10 years old or something like that you start getting boosters every five years. I mean obviously both of our countries are doing something right! Tetanus is almost like non-existent anymore haha
Bookmark and Share
Philippians 4:4-9

Offline Beth0810

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 09:02:11 PM »
It's so rare not because of vaccinating- it's because now we have better hygiene.  And there is no difference in the UK vaccine and the American one (hint- NHS means vaccines are not big money like they are in America)- just in the recommendations of the two countries.  Translation- after your childhood jabs, you actually don't ever need any boosters. 😉
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 05:33:41 AM »
My father in law is a doctor and he says that tetanus comes from animal feces, not the rust itself.  So unless you shaved an animal's rear end with it first, you're probably fine.  Good idea to stay up to date on tetanus boosters in general, though. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: