Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: OCD/ GAD fear  (Read 138 times)

Offline abc1231

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
OCD/ GAD fear
« on: May 29, 2014, 08:49:17 AM »
Heya

I had a panic attack a week or so  ago whilst looking at the mirror and having the thought "is this really me." All of a sudden after that thought I had a massive panick attack. Ever since that day I feel very disconnected and very anxious. Thoughts such as why do we exist etc etc keep on cropping into my head.

The doctor has prescribed me citalopram 20mg which I have not yet started taking but I will once I get the medication from the pharmacy. However I dont believe that will help with the fear of looking at myself in the mirror etc. As whenever I see my reflection I get really worried and remember the panic attack and worry I may have another. All that adds to my anxiety and has infact caused another panic attack which therefore has increased the fear more. 

As well that I have thoughts such as - I must be crazy who is scared of there reflection,  is this really me etc.  I know all these thoughts are irrational but they make me feel on the edge and anxious.   

Im currently on university holidays so it is hard to keep busy so the majority of my time I am just thinking about anxiety.
I find if I dont think about anxiety or any of these thoughts I am perfectly fine. But each day that passes it is getting harder and harder to stop thinking about them.

Any advice? Especially on the being scared of my own reflection bit due to the anxiety attack bit.

I just want to go back to the way I used to feel 2 weeks ago.  I am very very confident person and have absolutely nothing to worry about at this stage of my life so I dont know why this is happening. All this has got in the way of my life. I dont feel like going out anymore, I dont feel like going gym as I have the same anxious thoughts at the gym. I dont feel like doing anything due to the anxiety.

The doctor told me the anxiety may be due to me subconsciously being worried about getting my exam results soon so I should see how I feel after them. If i still feel very anxious in general he told me to start taking the citalopram and see him again in 3 weeks.

Apologies if it sounds silly.

Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline Myocdragon

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: OCD/ GAD fear
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 09:25:53 AM »
What kind of doctor is this? A GP or a Psychiatrist?
The good news is that this started 2 weeks ago and you sought help immediately. Not only does that show you've got a goody titled towards treatment, but it also means you've caught this early. It's always good to start treatment as soon as possible.

Have you been avoiding starting the meds, or is it that you just got the scrip and haven't picked them up?
Whatever the case, don't delay. SSRIs take awhile to kick in, as I'm sure you're aware.

It would be helpful to seek out some CBT as well.

Keep in mind that this is temporary. You'll get your life back. The one thing this is not is silly. You are suffering, there's nothing silly about that.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll start getting better soon.
Bookmark and Share
I'm not crazy, I've just lost my mind

Offline abc1231

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 10:16:01 AM »
What kind of doctor is this? A GP or a Psychiatrist?
The good news is that this started 2 weeks ago and you sought help immediately. Not only does that show you've got a goody titled towards treatment, but it also means you've caught this early. It's always good to start treatment as soon as possible.

Have you been avoiding starting the meds, or is it that you just got the scrip and haven't picked them up?
Whatever the case, don't delay. SSRIs take awhile to kick in, as I'm sure you're aware.

It would be helpful to seek out some CBT as well.

Keep in mind that this is temporary. You'll get your life back. The one thing this is not is silly. You are suffering, there's nothing silly about that.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll start getting better soon.

Heya the doctor is a GP. 
I went to him quickly this time as I had these same symptoms roughly 2-3 years ago and I believe this is a relapse. I was fine for roughly 3 years until the last 2 weeks. I have got the prescription and need to pick up the meds. I am waiting for my exam results to come out as that may be the cause of the anxiety. If the anxiety stops after that then I wont take the meds. If it carries on then I will start.

I have also contacted a psychologist regarding receiving CBT privately as the wait on the NHS is roughly 2-3 months. I want to try and sort this out in the next 2-3 months through CBT etc rather than have to wait for 2-3 to start.

Its just slightly annoying as I am usually the risktaker, the guy who does not give a crap about anything, the confident one but now due to the anxiety I dont even want to leave the house as I cant seem to control the thoughts anymore and keep questioning every action I undertake. Even my friends are saying I seem lost in my own thoughts and I am acting very strangely as I am usually very loud.
I used to be able to control it but thats where I hope the CBT will help.

Bookmark and Share

Offline gtripoli

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 05:54:48 PM »
I cant seem to control the thoughts anymore and keep questioning every action I undertake. ... I used to be able to control it but thats where I hope the CBT will help.

CBT will absolutely help. CBT will teach you that controlling the thoughts, is actually the problem, not the thoughts themselves. This can be easy to agree with, but much more difficult to actually live by.

CBT will also teach you that you are not your mind. Your thoughts don't really have the power that you believe they have. The only reason your distressing thoughts come back over and over is due to how you have reacted to them. Your mind is simply bringing up thoughts that you marked as being urgent in the past. It will continue to do this until you start preventing yourself from disproving, arguing or neutralizing your thoughts.

I would also recommend reading "Imp Of The Mind". Great book.

I wish you the best.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: