Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: No one else to ask  (Read 222 times)

Offline AdrienK

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
No one else to ask
« on: May 29, 2014, 04:19:58 AM »
Hi everyone... So I've asked everyone I can think to ask outside of this forum, and nothing has been able to help, so I thought maybe you all could help me.

I suffer from a panic disorder, and a few things come out of that. Like I'm always nervous I have another mental illness and it's not just anxiety...But something has been really bugging me, and I don't know exactly how to describe it, so I'll use an example.

I was in a group meeting for my panic when I thought "What if I'm screaming right now and not aware of it?" I couldn't speak because I kept thinking "What if I say something I'm unaware of?" ...I'm always afraid that I'm doing something and unaware of it, or I'm saying something I'm unaware of. Does anyone else have that? Where they feel like they might say or do something and not be aware of it, or like they've already done it?

I'm terrified of losing control and doing something that I'm not aware of, so this fear makes sense, but it's awful.

I also get "foggy" - Like right now I'm not sure if what I'm typing is making any sense.  :( And it all seems very scattered, and like I can't focus.

I'm very scared that I'm losing my mind, even though I know I'm not. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that this is a symptom of my anxiety, and not something else, and that I'm not the only one.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: No one else to ask
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 09:36:09 AM »
I think we have all had that fear of losing our minds when we didn't fully understand what was happening to us. The more we learn about the condition the more we know we are never going to lose our minds. That is just another fear. So you will never lose your mind. As for been afraid to say things or thinking you have already said things, I would blame this on what you call the ' fog '. Again it is just another part of anxiety. We can stop and think a bit too much. Play situations out in our heads. Even forget things. Did we or didn't we do certain things. I've been there before with your so called ' fog '. Had been out with my mother. Carried home an xmas tree. Went to my bedroom. Came back down an hour later and asked when we were going to the shops. Had no memory of ever been out. I won't say there are any miracle cures for this. I just got used to it. I accepted it happens. Then it stopped happening. Bit like the more I feared it the more I fed it. Once I gave up feeding it, the fear vanished.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 03:42:39 PM »
From my personal experience of having extreme panic attacks and along with it  the "Fog" - or later on, in my case it was finally diagnosed as Panic Disorder with anxiety driven mild O.C.D.

It is normal to experience "Out-of-Sync' - which of course increases anxiety into an anxiety-loop.  I had this "The Fear of Losing Control" - that I might do something terrible or very inappropriate - and similar thoughts fell into "Fear of Losing Control" label.

How do you know you have Panic Attacks?  Or is Anxiety?  Did you see your Doctor and or Psychiatrist?  And are you on any meds?

The main thing - is to try to relax - This "Fog" is well documented with anxiety cases, especially Panic Disorder ("dissociation", "not feeling in control of one's speech or physical movements","experiencing one's self and life from a distance","feeling as though one is in a dream", "intrusive thoughts", "The Fear of Losing Control"

As a new member to this forum - I noticed they have very helpful materials  :happy0151:

Hope you feel better!

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline AdrienK

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 10:43:41 AM »
I have the same thing - panic disorder with OCD... It's ridiculous.

The whole dissociation part is really hard to deal with, to be honest. I don't like walking around thinking "Am I in a dream?" I try to reassure myself I'm around and this is real, but logic doesn't seem to work when it comes to anxiety.

As for the questions... I don't know if I have panic attacks. Mine usually come with the sense of derealization, and I haven't had that in awhile... But I'm always anxious and teetering on the edge of a panic attack, so it's really hard to gauge what's happening. But it is panic disorder, coupled with agoraphobia and a few other things. That was diagnosed.

I'm not on any medication... I'm afraid of taking anything because the last time I did I had a panic attack.

I'm glad the fog isn't an only me thing. I'm just always afraid that it will never lift.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 12:12:10 PM »
It's O.K. - when I had these "Twilight-Zone" feelings there is nothing like it ... when trying to explain this to someone who has never suffered from it...  You can't explain it to people who have never experienced it...    :fragend005:

If it continues and starts to interfere in your life - I would not hesitate to contact your general Dr. for a visit and a referral to a psychiatrist to get a proper evaluation, if possible.

I wasted almost 2 years of my life before I had the courage to visit a Dr. because I was embarrassed and ashamed.

You may or may not need to take meds, but you should at least know what your options are...

On side note:  I dealt with panic attacks for two years with no meds, (Prozac (SSRI Meds etc. were not available, and I afraid to take was not on the market yet)) - so I used various non medication techniques that at least lowered my Anxiety and OCD from a level 9-10, to a manageable level of 6-7.

Also, There are now excellent supplements - that might help, or even OTC meds I used to after reading some research on in the early 1980's - I believe it was a book: Phobia Free: A Medical Breakthrough Linking 90% of All Phobias and Panic Attacks to a Hidden Physical Problem
by Harold N. Levinson, Steven Carter.  - They suggested using a OTC motion sick pill and it actually reduced (not cured) my Panic Attacks and Anxiety Fogs from full blown 9-10 levels to 6-8 used Bonine Motion Sickness tablets for over 4 years with great results... I would never have believed it... WoW !!!

Current research on Omega 3 oil supplements - (EPA Omega-3 ***** 1,000-2,000 mg) - I am reading and testing these supplements currently to see if I can use them to eventually replace some of the SSRI and other meds I am currently using.  (The Depression Cure: The 6-Step Program to Beat Depression without Drugs)

EPA (eicosopentaenoic acid), the medium-length omega-3 molecule, is also crucial for proper brain function. There’s little EPA in the brain itself, but the molecule is able to flit in and out of neurons to help them use brain chemicals like serotonin and dopamine more effectively.

Ilardi, Stephen S. (2009-06-02). The Depression Cure: The 6-Step Program to Beat Depression without Drugs (p. 75). Da Capo Press. Kindle Edition.

Anyways I hope this help, you are not alone!  - let me know if you have any questions that I may help you with....

Stay Strong!   :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Gracers

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 09:51:49 PM »
I'm new here so I doubt my response will be as helpful as others, but I get confused fairly often about what little things actually happened in a dream or in real life or what I've said to who or no one.  I feel like it stems from spending so much time being scared, it messes with your mind's ability to decide what instances to retain in the forefront of your memory because of every situation being so extreme and the level of cortisol in your mind being so high.  Just don't talk yourself into feeling crazy and out of control because of it, & I definitely agree that the more time you spend worrying about it, the more fuel you will give it. Just try to mentally talk yourself down using logic, logic is anxiety's nemesis.
Bookmark and Share

anything