Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Scared of taking meds..  (Read 136 times)

Offline Ellie3344

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Scared of taking meds..
« on: May 28, 2014, 03:41:28 PM »
I've had GAD for 12 years. I've been on 20mg lexapro for 12 years as well.
My anxiety has been AWFUL and DEBILITATING since I hurt my shoulder at work, and have been off work. It's really gotten bad for the last 4 days. My psychiatrist moved her office to the city, and pulled out of affiliation with all hospitals near me. I'm looking for a new doctor. I've also been taking buspar 5mg 3x daily for 4 days.

In the meantime, my general doctor, old psychiatrist, ER psych nurses, and pharmacist cousin all recommend upping my BuSpar dose from 5mg 3x daily to 10mg 3x daily. I'm terrified of getting serotonin syndrome.

Does anyone have any advice?
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 93
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared of taking meds..
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 07:56:10 PM »
In the meantime, my general doctor, old psychiatrist, ER psych nurses, and pharmacist cousin all recommend upping my BuSpar dose from 5mg 3x daily to 10mg 3x daily. I'm terrified of getting serotonin syndrome.

Combining an SSRI and Buspar is very common. You are unlikely to develop serotonin syndrome by increasing the Buspar dose. It is much rarer than Dr Google suggests. Very few doctors will ever see a genuine case.

On its own Buspar is generally a poor anti anxiety med. A few with GAD do well on it, but for most it is no more effective than M&Ms. It does have a proven track record for increasing the effectiveness of SSRIs, even restoring full function when one has stopped working, as Lexapro seems to have for you. Whether Buspar works for you can only be determined by trying it.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Ellie3344

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared of taking meds..
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 08:16:07 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I took the 10mg dose 4 hours ago and it hasn't killed me, so I think I'm in the clear.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: