Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I wsa fine for a couple of weeks. Fear of my son being austic.  (Read 333 times)

Offline Hypowoman90

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi guys. I don't know if you guys remember but a few weeks ago I went in to a complete non functioning meltdown about thinking my son is autistic or mentally handicapped.
He finally started preschool two weeks ago...

His teachers say he is making a lot of progress quickly. They told me he is doing so well. One of his teachers told me he is so bright.

Well for some reason the fear is back. Not as intense, but there.

He's been in school for two weeks. They would had said something to me by now if this was the case, right? Right?

I'm going on vacation to puerto rico in one week... I don't want anxiety to ruin my vacation with my son, partner and his family...

I was thinking maybe the anxiety came back because I ran out of lexapro a few days ago... But I don't think ssris work like that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I wsa fine for a couple of weeks. Fear of my son being austic.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 01:15:38 AM »
I highly doubt he is mentally handicapped if he is already getting comments on how bright he is in a school setting!

I don't know if he's autistic or not; obviously.  But if he is, well, he's in mainstream school with no problems and is thriving.  So he's clearly doing really well.  So you have nothing to worry about.  If he is autistic, so what?  He's still your son and you won't love him any less and he's still the same person he's always been.

I doubt he is because it sounds like he handled the transition into the new situation very easily and without fuss, which is something that can be hard for kids with autism. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypowoman90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 12:28:29 PM »
I am worried because my son has a significant speech delay that only started being addressed two weeks ago. At 3.5 he only just started saying words about a month ago.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypowoman90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 02:12:36 PM »
I highly doubt he is mentally handicapped if he is already getting comments on how bright he is in a school setting!

I don't know if he's autistic or not; obviously.  But if he is, well, he's in mainstream school with no problems and is thriving.  So he's clearly doing really well.  So you have nothing to worry about.  If he is autistic, so what?  He's still your son and you won't love him any less and he's still the same person he's always been.

I doubt he is because it sounds like he handled the transition into the new situation very easily and without fuss, which is something that can be hard for kids with autism.

Well, he did cry. The first day he cried for around 45 minutes and the crying. Decreased steadily until today. Today he walked straight in to the school without looking back or crying.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 02:26:29 PM »
autism involves more than a speech delay. What about eye contact? Interacting with people? Playing with toys as they are intended? Self-stimulations?

I know how easy it is to fall prey to this HA with our kids. I won't even tell you about my last pregnancy, lol. But, do you have any reason to suspect autism besides the speech?
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 06:26:16 PM »
Crying is 100% normal.  I was fine my first two days of kindergarten, but for some reason, the third day I cried for hours.  Then was totally fine the next day.  School takes some getting used to.  And it sounds like he's already over it and enjoying school!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypowoman90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 02:00:20 PM »
autism involves more than a speech delay. What about eye contact? Interacting with people? Playing with toys as they are intended? Self-stimulations?

I know how easy it is to fall prey to this HA with our kids. I won't even tell you about my last pregnancy, lol. But, do you have any reason to suspect autism besides the speech?

Well, they said he is interested in what the other kids are doing. He has never played with another kid before school because I don't have any friends... So he never had the opportunity to socialize much socialized much. He is pretty behind in that aspect, but I think that might be my fault... Up until when he had the preschool evaluation in feb, he had met a strange in.... months and months and months... He had also never been apart from me until he started school two weeks ago. The other day his teacher told me he played pretend in the kitchen with the other children.

He makes eye contact.

He plays with toys as intended.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 02:26:53 PM »
Doesn't sound like autism.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypowoman90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 05:17:49 PM »
Bump... Worried again... He has some words now and his speech therapist  said he's attempting to imitate words and that was a good sign... This was like a month ago..  its summer break so no speech therapy. He said a few Spanish phrases while we were in Puerto rico and then he didn't say them again after we got back.... i am just afraid he will never ever talk.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypowoman90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 08:42:12 AM »
My fears are completely full blown right now. Back to square one. I suspect its because I ran out of my meds and have been off them for over week now. This is really ruining my life and it's preventing me from being able to enjoy my son.  Sometimes I have trouble being around him because I've started analyzing ever single thing he does again  and its just pure torture. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 10:09:13 AM »
My fears are completely full blown right now. Back to square one. I suspect its because I ran out of my meds and have been off them for over week now. This is really ruining my life and it's preventing me from being able to enjoy my son.  Sometimes I have trouble being around him because I've started analyzing ever single thing he does again  and its just pure torture. :(

hAVE YOU CALLED EARLY INTERVENTION? THEY CAN COME OUT AND HELP with speech and evaluate him.

Talk to his pediatrician, have they noticed any red flags. my pediatrician's office run a autism screening at 18 months. Because he has a speech delay doesn't mean he is autistic.

Does he point to what he wants? I know pointing is a big one
Does he respond to his name?
Does he make eye contact?
If you point to a toy across the room, does he turn his head to look at what your pointing?
Does he do any pretend? like pretending to talk on the phone? or cooking or feeding a doll?

If he is doing all these things, you don't have to worry about it, he is just speech delayed and the words will come! I will definitely call early intervention though. Good luck mom, I know how hard this could be!

Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 10:12:54 AM »
This is the screening my kid's doctors used at 18 months. I think it's good thru 30 months only though.

http://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/diagnosis/screen-your-child
Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Offline Hypowoman90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 01:37:13 PM »

hAVE YOU CALLED EARLY INTERVENTION? THEY CAN COME OUT AND HELP with speech and evaluate him.

Talk to his pediatrician, have they noticed any red flags. my pediatrician's office run a autism screening at 18 months. Because he has a speech delay doesn't mean he is autistic.

Does he point to what he wants? I know pointing is a big one Yes
Does he respond to his name? Yes
Does he make eye contact? Yes
If you point to a toy across the room, does he turn his head to look at what your pointing? Yes
Does he do any pretend? like pretending to talk on the phone? or cooking or feeding a doll? Yes

If he is doing all these things, you don't have to worry about it, he is just speech delayed and the words will come! I will definitely call early intervention though. Good luck mom, I know how hard this could be!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypowoman90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 09:05:04 PM »

Does he point to what he wants? I know pointing is a big one
Does he respond to his name?
Does he make eye contact?
If you point to a toy across the room, does he turn his head to look at what your pointing?
Does he do any pretend? like pretending to talk on the phone? or cooking or feeding a doll?

He's 3and a half. I'm thinking he will never ever talk.
He's too old for early intervention hence him being in preschool :( :'(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Worry2Much

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 11:27:22 PM »
Sweetie my son just turned 3 last month. He does not talk. He has said Ma and Dad but that is it. He does understand some things I tell him. Makes a lot of interactions with others. Gives plenty of hugs to everyone and plays well with other children.
I have taken the screening test and scored a 1 which is low risk.

I have a daughter who talks ALOT. Although she was already saying some things at 3 she didn't take off until a few months after her 3rd birthday.

My son makes plenty of eye contact and the boy can play on his tablet better then I can.

Please don't fret and just look into a speech therapist.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: