Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Is this really just a UTI?  (Read 300 times)

Offline hbug1624

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Is this really just a UTI?
« on: May 27, 2014, 10:36:40 PM »
I've dealt with health anxiety issues for years. So recently I started experiencing UTI symptoms (just lower abdominal cramping and frequency/urgency). I bought an OTC test which came back with extremely high white blood cell levels but no nitrates. So I knew it was a real infection, not just my anxiety. I went to a Kroger Little Clinic where the nurse confirmed the positive test. She felt around my lower abdomen and lower back and didn't feel anything of concern. She sent me on my way with three days of Cipro. I felt better but two weeks later the symptoms are back. Went to my GP and the test was slightly positive. Now I'm halfway through a seven day dosage of nitrofurantoin macro and I'm not feeling any better. Still have some lower abdominal cramping and the frequency. Well, more so the whole run to the bathroom every 30 minutes but nothing comes out thing. I haven't had any burning, blood, foul smelling or cloudy urine. My stomach also feels a little bloated this go round, and I've even got a bit of constipation. My doctor went ahead and scheduled a follow-up meeting for the end of the month. But now I'm freaking out. Could this really just be a UTI that isn't responding to antibiotics? Or could it be something more serious? This is so frustrating, especially for someone that has never had a UTI before. I'm really starting to panic.
Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is this really just a UTI?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 11:32:35 PM »
Did they do  a culture? It's better to know the bacteria u have so they can prescribe the right antibiotic.
Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Offline hbug1624

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 11:48:13 PM »
The Kroger clinic just did the dipstick test. I'm assuming that's all my GP did, too, because they gave me results while I was still at the office. But my GP said the rest was a very slight positive for blood cells only.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 11:48:23 PM »
There are a lot of antibiotics out there.  Cipro is the one most usually prescribed in my experience but it doesn't always work.  You may also just still have bladder irritation from the infection, and many antibiotics cause stomach upset. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 06:41:28 AM »
There is an otc product called uristat that will help with the irritation.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hbug1624

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 09:05:54 AM »
I may have to pick some up today. This is so frustrating! I feel like I have to pee ALL THE TIME and nothing even comes out half the time. As soon as I wipe and stand up I feel like I have to go again. That's pretty much the only symptom at this point. Could this be a serious issue or does it just sound like irritation?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 09:11:23 AM »
It just sounds like residual irritation to me.  The urethra can become inflamed when you have a uti and still cause discomfort even though the infection itself is cleared.  Uristat will stain your urine orange so don't be alarmed.  Follow the instructions and stay hydrated, even if drinking water is the last thing you want to do!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 10:35:36 AM »
I may have to pick some up today. This is so frustrating! I feel like I have to pee ALL THE TIME and nothing even comes out half the time. As soon as I wipe and stand up I feel like I have to go again. That's pretty much the only symptom at this point. Could this be a serious issue or does it just sound like irritation?

I get this a lot.  My doctor gives me a prescription for it, but it's the same turn-your-pee-orange stuff you get over the counter, I'm pretty sure (maybe stronger, but I don't know).  It works really well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hbug1624

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 11:16:10 AM »
Okay. I got some Uristat. I drank an insane amount of water and cranberry juice yesterday and that's all I'm drinking today. I'm peeing like crazy but the urgency is still there, and the whole nothing coming out issue. This is seriously about to drive me insane and my follow-up doctor's appointment isn't until the end of June. I had a little bit of cramping still last night (think that was more related to how much I was drinking) but the ONLY symptom left at this point is the constant, unsatisfying bathroom trips. HELP!!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 08:32:11 PM »
So the uristat didn't help at all? How are you feeling now?

Try dissolving half a teaspoon of baking soda into a cup of water and drink it.... this should neutralize the acids.... PLEASE DON'T DRINK CRANBERRY JUICE.... I know they say it's good for UTI's but it's not actually... it irritates you even more because it's too acidic. I have been suffering from UTIs since I was 21 (I am not 37) and this is the worst yiu can do. Avoid any citrus, like orange juice, etc and any spicy food.

I know how frustrating it is.... good luck with your appointment, Are you seeing a urologist?
Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Offline hbug1624

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 08:36:13 PM »
I'm feeling a little better. No urologist yet, this is my first time dealing with this. My GP didn't seem concerned, said sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right antibiotic. But this is driving me insane! I feel like I've spent half the week on the toilet!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 09:46:40 PM »
I had a BAD UTI once. I was 17 and dumb. Like you had no burning while peeling just bad cramping in my lower abdominal area and pressure while going. I also had to go with nothing coming out. Like a dumb teen I let it go. About 3 weeks later I was extremely ill. Passing out, vomiting, headache extremely weak. The infection got that bad. So this won't happen to you because you have been on 2 separate meds but there is such infection that only cause urgency and cramping. I don't mean to offend but could you be pregnant?? An early symptom is extreme urgency? I had it so bad with my 4 pregnancies very early on. I also had UTIs during my pregnancies.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 05:34:44 AM »
If you're drinking cranberry juice make sure it's 100% NO SUGAR ADDED.  Sugar makes UTIs worse. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Chantelle

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 08:52:26 AM »
Each time I have had a uti I have residual symptoms that last for a week after I'm finished my antibiotics. I certainly think that your bladder can get inflamed from the infection and that takes awhile to go away. If I were you I would finish taking your meds then return and take another test to see if the infection has cleared. In the meantime, the best thing that works for me with uti's is to drink tons of water. Always have a glass near by and sip on if all day. Yes, it will make you pee a lot but it will help flush bacteria out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hbug1624

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 05:29:04 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I'm feeling a tad bit better but the symptoms are definitely still there. I'm going to get an OTC UTI test this evening to take in the morning. I'm almost hoping this IS all in my head. I would love to feel normal again. Almost forgotten how that feels.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything