Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anyone take or know anything about HALOPERIDAL?  (Read 189 times)

Offline valleyplayer42

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Pissed
    Pissed
    • Poke This Member
Anyone take or know anything about HALOPERIDAL?
« on: May 27, 2014, 04:29:54 PM »
I was prescribed it today for nervous tics and severe anxiety. Its supposed to be good I think. 0.5 mg x2 a day. I still take xanax.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anyone take or know anything about HALOPERIDAL?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 06:27:14 PM »
I was prescribed it today for nervous tics and severe anxiety. Its supposed to be good I think. 0.5 mg x2 a day. I still take xanax.

Are you on any other meds besides the Xanax? Is that the only treatment you've had for anxiety?

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline valleyplayer42

Pissed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 09:07:04 PM »
Just the xanax. And now the Haloperidal. He said hopefully this will calm down my anxiety and nervous tics enough to wear I wont need so many xanax. I hope I dont start getting siezures from this Haloperidal or start to feel worse. It is for severe anxiety and tics at a low dose... 2 times a day 0.5 mg each, i just took my 2nd 0.5 mg.
Bookmark and Share

Offline valleyplayer42

Pissed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 09:31:28 PM »
I will not take any more than 1 mg a day of this Haldol. Maybe even 0.5 mg some days. I heard it goes up to like 30 mg a day for some people. Not for anxiety im sure but that is crazy! Maybe it will help who knows. The SSRI'S never worked for me, I was on prozac lexapro buspar and zoloft. I should be ok on this Haldol for a little bit I would suppose. People are out there snorting lines of coke taking oxycodine and xanax at the same time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 09:49:12 PM »
Just the xanax. And now the Haloperidal. He said hopefully this will calm down my anxiety and nervous tics enough to wear I wont need so many xanax. I hope I dont start getting siezures from this Haloperidal or start to feel worse. It is for severe anxiety and tics at a low dose... 2 times a day 0.5 mg each, i just took my 2nd 0.5 mg.

Haloperidol is an anti psychotic mostly prescribed for schizophrenia and sometimes for tics associated with Tourette Syndrome. It is not a first, or even second and third line med for anxiety. Any benefit for that is likely to come from its sedative properties.

The SSRI'S never worked for me, I was on prozac lexapro buspar and zoloft.

Then you should consider trying the tricyclic antidepressants. They are more likely to be effective for anxiety that haloperidol. Desipramine ( Norpramin) would be a good initial choice, or clomipramine (Anafranil) is there is a suggestion of OCD, as there often is when there tics are a factor.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline valleyplayer42

Pissed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 08:19:26 AM »
Will I get addicted to Haloperidal or have severe withdrawals from it. I am not sure why I was put on it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 06:03:00 PM »
Will I get addicted to Haloperidal or have severe withdrawals from it.

As with many psych meds, you will become dependent on haloperidol if you take it for more than a few months and will need to taper off it. This is also true of Xanax and antidepressants.

I am not sure why I was put on it.

I assume to control the tics. It may work well or that, though there may be gentler meds which are as effective. IMHO, you need to discuss this further with the prescribing doctor. Ask why s/he has prescribed it, what the side-effects are, what your other options are, etc.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: