Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Trying to conceive/Two week wait  (Read 136 times)

Offline ChangingArranging

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
    • Poke This Member
Trying to conceive/Two week wait
« on: May 27, 2014, 04:19:10 PM »
So, this month is the first that we've actively tried to conceive.  I know it can take some time, but I'm 40 and am already nervous about our chances.  I've noticed that during the wait, I exhibit some of the same behaviours that go along with my HA (which has been largely under control for months now).....self-checking, googling for symptoms, feeling anxious over results.  My usual HA tricks aren't helping me much, because there's no disease.  To make it worse, I've felt a lot of symptoms that could be pregnancy, but I'm afraid to give them any credence because I don't know which of those symptoms could be mimicked by HA.  And even worse than that, my cycle used to be fairly regular, either 26 or 28 (never 27) days, but since my major anxiety flareup last year it's been randomly anything between 24-28 days. 

On the plus side, I have managed to resist the urge to test early, so I haven't wasted a ton of money and increased my anxiety level with home pregnancy tests.  I am now on the day I would start if I had a 26 day cycle this month, and I am determined not to test until I've passed all 28.  So far so good.  But the anxiety and uncertainty are starting to ramp up, and I'm not sure how best to quiet them.  Breathing exercises have never worked for me, and neither has meditation.  I was hoping someone here had been through the same thing and could share stories of how they dealt with it.  I know it's pretty rare to conceive on the first try, so I am likely to have to go through this repeatedly and I hope to make it easier on myself each time between now and success.  (I still have my fingers crossed for this time, though.  It would sure make me feel better about my 40 year old body to know it did its job right the first time.  ;D )
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Trying to conceive/Two week wait
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 05:43:54 PM »
Oh the dreaded 2 week wait.  So not fun.  My anxiety is always worse during the second half of my cycle as well.

I'm an infertility survivor and I unfortunately know way more about the reproductive cycle than anyone other than a Dr should.  Best of luck to you!!! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caroline1902

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 10:38:15 PM »
I've been where you are a number of times - the horrid two week wait!

What I did, of course, was research the heck out of anything fertility-related and managed to come up with an impressive list of women who had had babies after 40.  I guess it depends on where you live but I live in a big city and there are more "older mothers" than you think having babies after 40.

I had my third at the age of 41 without a single problem.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline ChangingArranging

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 11:23:38 PM »
Thank you guys so much for the responses!  I think I might be out of the game for this month  :( but it does make me feel a lot better to hear some supportive comments.  Thank you both!
Bookmark and Share

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 11:51:02 PM »
Good luck!  My mom was 39 when she got pregnant with me and 40 when I was born, and this was thirty-*cough* years ago ;)  I wouldn't worry about it being "too late."
Bookmark and Share

Tags: