Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Not sure what to do AFTER a panic attack  (Read 234 times)

Offline Sokar

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Not sure what to do AFTER a panic attack
« on: May 27, 2014, 11:31:57 AM »
Hello, Name is Josh, this is my first post on this site. So I'm going to give some quick history before my question. I have been having panic / anxiety for 5 years now. I mainly have 2 fears, "I'm going to have a panic attack" and "Something is wrong, I'm going to die" (the 2nd one is 90% of the time related to breathing, choking, feeling of pain in throat or side of neck, and can't take deep breaths). I take 40 mg of prozac every day, and 0.5 mg klopinn

So this week, I got cold, and took the entire last week off work. I did not have the energy to fight the cold and panic. Today is my first day back to work, and I have about a 30-45 min drive to work everyday (Traffic, and stop lights some times trigger my panic). On the way to work today, I freaked out bad, on a scare of 0-10 it was about a 8 or 9. I almost stopped and went to the hospital. I know it's just panic, and I tell myself, it's just panic and it should go away soon. I try and focus on my breathing, but then I notice how shallow I'm breathing and I feel like I can't take a breath. Like my throat is closing and I then I get a pain on the left side of my neck. My backup plan to hospital, is to call my wife to come pick me up, but that is not always an option. And I don't like to do that, as they say that is avoidance. So I made it to work, it was VERY hard to make it tho the entire drive. Now that I'm here, most of the panic is gone, but I just have a LOT of anxiety now. I'm worried about the drive home tonight, I'm worried about not getting this under control, and I need to be able to focus for my job (software developer). So that leads me to this, how can I calm down AFTER a panic attack so I can go back to normal life for a while?

Part of me just wants the suffering to stop. Part of me knows there is a way to beat this. I just loose confidence as it's been over 5 years now, and I don't feel like I'm making any progress.

Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 19
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Not sure what to do AFTER a panic attack
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 05:18:41 AM »
Most people reading this know the answer, they just don't want to tell it to you because it sucks.

Simply put, you can't. Sometimes panic attacks will trigger those post-panic symptoms, and there's nothing you can do about it. When it happens like you suggest, you likely go on to experience chains of attacks. Its miserable. But all you can do is ride it out. One thing that may help is to temporarily put off what your panic wants you to do.

That is, wait until a lull in the anxiety, and then do that thing. It does not reinforce the panic when done like that, and can often satisfy the urge. The only other thing I can reccomend is pushing your anxiety even higher using a controlled situation. I read scary stories. This may or may not work for you.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: