Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Easiest ssri to start?  (Read 251 times)

Offline Beth0810

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Easiest ssri to start?
« on: May 27, 2014, 09:15:04 AM »
I'm back after a year (almost) of having liquid prozac in my cupboard and being afraid to take it.  I'm still afraid.  I need it.  I need something.  I am so anxious that I have all over body pain, I can't clean my house, I am irritable, I can't sleepů

So I thought I would come here and asků is there an ssri that has less "start-up" effects than Prozac?  The reason I haven't started the Prozac is that I am afraid of the initial possible increase in anxiety.  I'm home alone with my kids a lot, and I don't want to have that panicky feeling when I'm here with my kids alone.  Especially if it's due to medicine and I can't stop it. 

Bookmark and Share

Offline BamaErin

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Easiest ssri to start?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 09:22:20 AM »
I don't have an answer for you specifically, since I only have minor experience with one SSRI.  I took Paxil for about a month and was never able to get past the 10mg starter dosage.  I experienced a lot more headaches and felt jittery almost constantly.  I see my dr tomorrow and am hoping to find some answers of what I should be on to help me with the physical anxiety symptoms I suffer from.  I too, am home with my 4 small children a lot and am desperate to go back to feeling like my old self again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

• Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 12:59:27 PM »
I had extreme anxiety and refused all meds b/c I was afraid, so ended up not sleeping or eating. Became psychotic. I finally got to a wonderful pdoc. Any ssri begun at the lowest dose possible, and slowly raised will work. Just start very low. For ex, I began Zoloft at 12.5mg, along with 7.5mg Remeron and took for 2 1/2 yrs. Those 2 together were good. I only had to go up to 25mg Zoloft to work for my anxiety b/c remeron was helping and then about a month or so in, she added .25mg klonopin, and I went up to .5mg klonopin and stayed at all three. I had to let my cns get calmed down. I could eat, sleep, did well. Im now off of Zoloft, remeron. I crossed over to valium and am tapering off of it with minimal problems. My anxiety seems to be in remission now. Good luck to you.  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Offline Myocdragon

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 01:41:59 PM »
I started with 10mg prozac for two weeks, then went to 20mg. My only SEs were:
Dry mouth
Slightly speedy for a few hours after taking my first couple of doses. Neither were a big deal.

I asked my pdoc about the "worse before better" stories re: prozac and he said that the research shows that the only thing to fear, is fear itself. The increase in anxiety is related to our anxiety about taking meds, not about the effect the meds have.

I don't think I'd take year old prozac just because I'd question its effectiveness, but I would get a new scrip and start. It takes quite awhile to help.

Good luck
Bookmark and Share
I'm not crazy, I've just lost my mind

Offline Beth0810

Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 01:46:18 PM »
Thanks.  I'm not worried about effectiveness- it says it's good until August.  But thank you.  I guess I could call the pdoc or pharmacy and double check, but there was just a news report about the expiration dates on meds being basically meaningless as they don't lose their effectiveness over time. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Myocdragon

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 02:38:02 PM »
What's the dose?
You might want to call your pdoc if you haven't had an evaluation for awhile anyway, just to see if the prozac would still be the first course if action.

I will say re my SEs, I kind of took comfort in them in that I felt like, "okay, this pill is doing something, it's having an effect." When the side effects stopped (within two weeks) and I wasn't feeling any better that's when my anxiety went up. Not because I was taking the prozac, but because I was afraid it wasn't working. After about three weeks in I had rapid improvement that lasted about three weeks, then a setback as I regressed. But my regression wasn't nearly as bad as my initial symptoms. That's how recovery works, forward, and back, forward, and back. The sooner you start though, the sooner you'll get that forward momentum going.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Beth0810

Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 03:38:46 PM »
It's liquid, 20 mg per 5ml of liquid.  She has me starting at 1 DROP.  1/4 tsp would be 5 mg, and that is where I am heading if all goes well. 

It is still the one that would be best- I have tried Zoloft in the past, and that was great except for weight gain.  Prozac has been recommended to me by three different pdocs- and in fact mine gave me the choice most recently.  I can't imagine her recommendation had changed since October.  I am putting a call in today just to let her know I'm starting and to set up a check in 4 weeks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Myocdragon

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 04:35:19 PM »
I would be surprised if you had any side effects at all from that dose. I mean, that's such a small dose I'm surprised that she isn't starting you out by just having you look at the bottle for a second.

I'm kidding of course, but really, she is easing you very gently into it. I'm a small guy, only 5'6", and I started at 10mg and like I said, the SEs were minimal.

The downside for you is that you have some SEs, which I predict will be nothing or hardly anything. But the upside is that you'll start to recover in weeks to months.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Beth0810

Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 04:57:16 PM »
Well, I've been LOOKING at the bottle since October, so she kinda did. 😉

Seriously, though, I'm aware that it won't be much of a therapeutic dose- but just the act of taking it is therapy enough right now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Myocdragon

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 06:11:12 PM »
Right, and you don't start off with a therapeutic dose anyway; you build up to one. If you were prescribed this dose, I think you should just start taking it on the morning, after breakfast, without fear of SEs. You're golden.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Beth0810

Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 02:48:03 PM »
Day two of only one drop.  So far, so good.  I actually slept last night and I feel calmer.  I have dizziness and a little anxiety about 25 min. After I take it, but that quickly passes.  I can't imagine how I would have felt on a larger dose, though.  Tomorrow, maybe two drops?  We shall see
Bookmark and Share

Offline Myocdragon

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 04:13:33 PM »
congratulations on starting! That's great! Does your doc have you on a schedule for increasing your dose, or are you just doing it up until you get to where the doc wants you?

You're making huge progress even by taking the medicine. The act of taking it is a big step for you. You're confronting your anxiety head on. Be proud. You've started your journey out. Yay!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Beth0810

Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 05:00:54 PM »
Thank you so much.  :). I'm seeing her in a couple of weeks.  Last we spoke I said I was going to go up by one drop a week, until I got to 5mg which would be 1/4 tsp.  I'm not sure I need to go that slowly- if I have the confidence to go faster, I think I should.  5 mg has proven to be therapeutic for some people, and I found 12.5 - 25 mg of Zoloft to be therapeutic, so I think it is entirely possible to get results on a teeny dose of prozac.

The only thing I have today now is that I am sleepy.  A bit of tummy trouble, also.  So some of the drug is getting in. :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: