Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Ear infection....scared :-/  (Read 106 times)

Offline laneysmom25

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Ear infection....scared :-/
« on: May 27, 2014, 08:05:38 AM »
So I went to ER three days ago for bad ear pain. I was diagnosed with outer ear infection. The dr gave me ear drops. Well after a day or so the pain was getting worse and my ear canal was swelling shut. I went back to ER and they put a wick in my ear and had me continue drops but also started me on a oral antibiotic. The pain is like crazy and around my ear hurts too. I read online sometimes the infection can get in your haw bone and be potentially fatal. So now I'm so scared. I'm in pain and the worrying isn't helping any. I'm scared.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: Ear infection....scared :-/
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 10:36:20 AM »
It will take at LEAST 24 hours for the antibiotic to do anything for you.  (lessen the pain)  When did you take the first one and how many have you had so far?  Do you have a fever?
Bookmark and Share

Offline richdelb

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 11:19:17 AM »
I've had and ear infection like that.  It's IS very painful.  Sorry you are going thru this right now. They had to put a wick in for the drops to get to (and stay) where they needed to be.  It was painful, so I totally understand how you feel.

After the wick was in for about 7 to 10 days (don't recall the exact number of days) I went back to the ENT and when he pulled that wick out there was TOTAL and complete relief !!   :spineyes:

Relax as best as you can and this will all be healed soon.  It stinks while the wick is in, but just remember that it's helping keep the meds right where they need to be, and all will be well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PsalmSeven

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 11:33:46 AM »
Pain from an ear infection can be excruciating! But it doesn't mean the infection has spread, even if other parts of your face start to hurt (like your jaw). The way I understand it those tissues are all connected and can all feel the pain of an ear infection.

When you saw the doctor, they probably asked when your symptoms started, right? It's very unlikely you've had this infection long enough for it to spread to your jaw. You'd have to be pretty stubborn to ignore that level of pain for such a long time. If there was any chance that it spread, the doctors would have suspected it from the time frame and your symptoms and by looking in your ear... But they didn't because they know it's just a typical ear infection. You've seen them twice now and have antibiotics, which will kill it. So no need to worry. You're going to be fine. In fact you're already recovering, your fear just doesn't know it yet.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 11:54:08 AM »
I had an ear infection and the ENT physician told me that it was one of the worst he had seen in a while.
I had trouble with my equilibrium and had my ear drum punctured twice before I got better.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Tags: