Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Looking for help  (Read 51 times)

Offline Puff Scrubba

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Looking for help
« on: May 27, 2014, 12:16:56 AM »
 Hello, my name is Greg. I have had OCD my whole like and developed anxiety about 4 years ago. My anxiety came after having mono and swine flu back to back. My anxiety is pretty much 24/7, besides when I sleep. It gets much worse when I am in public. The main issue is my breathing. I will forget how to breathe normally and go into a panic throughout the day. What makes it worse is I am always aware of my breathing. I all so cannot breathe well through my nose, even after 2 surgeries.

I have seen a psycologist and a psychyatrist, who has given up trying to help me. I have tried many SSRIs, which make me worse. I am currently on Klonopin .5 1-2 times a day as needed, which takes the edge off a bit, but is just a band aid fix. I have also tried many supplements, which haven't worked.

I have cut back on caffeine and cut out alcohol, being they make it worse. It also seems worse if I don't eat for a long amount of time. Just seeing if anyone has a similar anxiety and has any tips. I will try anything.
Bookmark and Share

Online crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Looking for help
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 02:55:28 AM »
Hi Puff,

Let me first say welcome to the forum.  It is great to have you as a member.  I am saddened to hear that you are going through such a rough time with your anxiety.  I think it is terrible that your psychologist and psychiatrist would give up on you.  If that is the case I would strongly advise seeking out new doctors.  Sadly there are some bad doctors out there who are not up to the challenge.  I highly recommend CBT for therapy.  It has helped me immensely. I manage to cope with my anxiety and panic attacks without meds and have found that therapy helps me get to the heart of the issues that lead me to have anxiety in the first place.

I am very familiar with the breathing issues you mentioned.  It is very common for people with anxiety to chest breathe when they get anxious and that leads to the feeling of not being about to get a good breath.  There is even a medical term for it that my doctor told me and that is Oxygen Hunger and it is common to people with anxiety. Maybe try some breathing exercises. They have helped me. I recommend starting laying down because when we lie down we breathe correctly from the diaphragm.  Once you familiarize yourself with the correct way to breathe you can incorporate it sitting or standing up. 

Again welcome to the site.  I hope you can find the support you are looking for here.  Feel free to explore the forum.  There are lots of useful topics to read.  Feel free to post and ask questions.   This is a wonderful place to get advice and support from people going through similar situations.  The members here are very helpful. It is nice to know we are not alone.  If you have specific concerns or questions start a topic in the appropriate section to get the best feedback. There is also a chat room for members 18 years and older that you can access once you have made three meaningful posts in the forum. 

Again welcome to our community.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Offline rap_Talon

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Looking for help
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 03:04:42 AM »
Sorry to hear that you, too, are suffering from these difficulties. It's all too common, sadly. As Crikee suggested, I'd look into some breathing exercises, to help you regain some control over your breathing.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: anxiety panic