Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: How did you begin to have health anxiety? Would love to hear.  (Read 476 times)

Offline jilllayy

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How did you begin to have health anxiety? Would love to hear.
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 02:42:08 PM »
I suffer from HA because after I had kids i just got nervous that every little thing would kill me and i wouldnt be here to take care of them anymore or worse! leave them with my husbands crappy family lol
Bookmark and Share

Online Kmj023

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 04:39:26 PM »
Are the side effects bad? That's my scare with meds.
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"

Offline valleyplayer42

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Pissed
    Pissed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 06:11:23 PM »
I was 16, and I felt a lump on my nutt. 3 days later in school we had a thing on testicular cancer, freaked me out, i skipped the class and had a panic attack. Went to my doctor, checked it out, got ultrasound and everything was find, just a cyst or something.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shaula

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • It's a new day.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2014, 06:14:15 PM »
I think mine started when I was in high schol, almost on a subconscious level. I had a teacher die from stomach cancer in the span of a few months. One week she was there, saying her stimach hurt, the folowing week she was gone to the hospital, and we found out she was sick. Crazy. Then I watched my grandpa die, and he was really sick. Also cancer, also very ugly. I spent a lot of time reading about crazy diseases on wikipedia, and I think that also kind of caught up to me. I also got depressed and diagnosed with anxiety to years ago after a bout of panic attacks. I feel like that manifested itself in the form of hypochondria...and that's where I've been since then...trying to manage, going up and down.
Bookmark and Share
Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end.

Hold on if you feel like letting go.

Online Kmj023

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2014, 06:15:14 PM »
That would scare any man I'm sure!
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"

Offline valleyplayer42

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Pissed
    Pissed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2014, 06:17:16 PM »
That would scare any man I'm sure!

Lol thumbs up
Bookmark and Share

Offline gracehorn22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2014, 09:02:41 PM »
My first panic attack was when I was in the middle of a concert for choir. I had never been stage fright and out of nowhere I felt like I was going to pass out. I had numbness and tingling and that was not normal to me. This continued for a while where I would get panic attacks when I was in places that I felt I could not get out of. After googling (of corse) more about this I decided that my anxiety was an instinct telling me that I was sick with something that I did not know about. Ever since then, I have been a hypochondriac.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CrazyDachshundLady

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2014, 07:33:07 PM »
I watched my mom go in and out of the hospital since I was a young kid, and her mom (my grandma) had a lot of health issues in her youth as well. When I was 13 my mom was diagnosed with relapse remitting MS (which was actually misdiagnosed as a brain tumour at first, scared the crap out of me). The earliest attack I remember was when I was 11 😳 and I thought I had a severe bowel problem. I was too young to really think I had specific diseases but after my mom was diagnosed it got a lot worse. I've thought I had bowel cancer, melanoma, a brain tumour, lymphoma, leukaemia, nasal tumour, diabetes and most recently breast cancer. I actually somewhat recovered from my HA back in 2011 and I was 3 years free of it. Until my boyfriends mom was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer back in November, now my HA is back and I've recently somewhat gotten over a breast cancer & lymphoma fear.  It just scares me because my mom and grandma were so sick throughout their lives and what if it's genetic or something so I became obsessed with it. As for my boyfriends mom, we're a lot alike and we're pretty close. She's also only 40 years old so she's really young, it kind of brought back the HA because it really can happen to anyone so I feel the need to constantly check myself to make sure it doesn't happen to me.
Bookmark and Share

Online AbeLinkedIn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2014, 01:02:04 PM »
A couple of years ago, I had a couple of diseases which required immediate medical attention (Testicular torsion and appendicitis), both of which I found out about by googling symptoms. Being proven right twice in a row for potentially deadly diseases more or less sealed the deal and made me think of the worst case scenario all the time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline paratale

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2014, 02:08:46 PM »
I started pretty young. My whole family tree is riddled with anxiety and hypochondria (among other things) so I'm pretty sure it is genetic.

When I was 7 I watched this episode of Arthur on TV about asthma. It was intended to make kids feel better, but it really freaked me out. I was so messed up over it all I could do was lie in bed and try to a. breathe and b. not puke. This went on for months. After that first anxiety it became a persistent problem. I was obsessed with germs and washed my hands to the point where they were raw and bleeding, I thought that all my teeth were going to fall out, that I had a bladder infection, that something was wrong with my heart, on and on and on.

My parents were extremely confused but for some reason I still don't understand, they never seemed to put two and two together that this was NOT normal 7 year old behavior. I was homeschooled at the time but if I had been in school it would almost certainly have been debilitating enough to keep me home.

I ended up with pretty bad agoraphobia to the point where I wouldn't go anywhere with a parent or family member until I was 11. I almost completely withdrew from my friends for several years. I had suicidal ideation as young as 8. All this and still no one thought "she needs help." I love my parents but that makes me angry to this day.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: