Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: MS health anxiety has brought me here... Hi everyone.  (Read 84 times)

Offline mrpig

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
MS health anxiety has brought me here... Hi everyone.
« on: May 26, 2014, 03:45:36 PM »
Hello all,

I'm pretty sure we all have massively long stories which have led to us being on here. I would be writing for hours, so I will keep it very short for now. I am 27, female with a beautiful 15 week old son. I have been convinced I have had several life threatening diseases over the years, but the past year has been consumed with my self diagnosis of MS. I am angry at myself for spending time looking on google, and going to the doctors or A&E when I should be spending with my son, yet it feels like a compulsion which I cannot stop. I know I sound irrational and mental so I don't talk to any of my friends or family about it. But I saw my GP the other day after being to A&E 3 times in a week and spending a total of 4 nights in hospital. I had a CT scan and MRI, both of the brain, and they were totally normal. My neuro exam which was done by several different consultants was also normal, yet this irrational Health anxiety voice in my head tells me that it is totally possible to have MS with a clear brain MRI and neuro exam, and although rare, I am the one who has it with only spine lesions. I could not persuade the doctors to do an MRI on my spine as they didn't believe it was necessary but I truly feel like I am losing my mind over this. I have migraines which changed to the ones with aura when I was pregnant and have stayed that way since my son was born. I get jagged lines through the vision of one eye for about half an hour before a migraine, and this triggered the MS obsession for me. My GP has given me propranolol which is primarily for migraines but also used for anxiety However 160mg a day is not enough to even touch my anxiety. Plus, one of it's side effects is tingling and numbness... which is one of the symptoms I have been worrying about. So all in all a vicious circle.

Hoping I can connect with others through here and we can help and support each other!

Mr pig x
Bookmark and Share

Offline jilllayy

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: MS health anxiety has brought me here... Hi everyone.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 09:03:36 PM »
Hi there!

trust me when i say i know exactly what you are going through. except i wish my fear was over MS because that isn't necessarily life threatening. Im always worried about als or some deadly neuromuscular disease. I have a 2 and half year old and a 4 month old and although i am physically there. I feel like im not mentally there at times because im always on my phone googling! no matter how many times i google the same things over and over incase i missed something.

I also feel like i am that rare exception of the disease. As if we are the one unlucky ones that will catch the disease anyway even though all tests rule it out. Just like my fear of flying. i know how rare it is for a plane to crash , but i always thing it will be MY plane.

Things will get better eventually. As time goes on and we start noticing the nothing is "progressing" that we will finally tell ourselves that we are ok!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: MS health anxiety has brought me here... Hi everyone.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 05:25:31 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Tags: