Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Hi, I think anxiety and stress are worsening my health problems!  (Read 84 times)

Offline thependragon81

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi,

This is the first time I've posted on anything like this so bare with me if it doesn't make perfect sense. My name is Stuart, I'm a 32 year old male, single, from the UK and have had a mostly comfortable and contented life. Then 4 years ago I developed health problems. These problems with my throat, stomach and general digestion seemed to come from nowhere. One day I was fine and the next I was feeling dreadful. After 3 months I finally saw a doctor and after a number of tests and taking the wrong sort of medication, I was told I had dysmotility. The doctor thought probably as a result of a virus and suggested the symptoms would probably clear up after a few years. However, he did warn me of more severe symptoms and that some people with these issues will develop depression.

Over those next two years the symptoms were sporadic and never too severe. However, I did start to get quite fatigued at times and some symptoms such as belching, were embarrassing. I began to reduce social activity and being self employed I turned down or put back work, always thinking I'll go back to this when I'm feeling better. This was not helped by being naturally introverted (although I would never describe myself as shy) and living with my parents meant I didn't have any major financial commitments.

Once my problems continued beyond 2 years I began to get stressed, anxious (perhaps bordering on hypochondria) and negative about this. Some of my symptoms worsened and in the last year and I've had muscle spasms and pain and discomfort in both my stomach and particularly my chest (which is bad as I write this). Although much of the time my mood is good, I've become quite awkward socially and clearly my state of mind is making things worse. I find more and more that I'm finding things to worry about, so that if I clear my mind of my health problems I'll start worrying about my parents (who have their own health issues) or something from my past - things that are probably beyond my control.

I find it difficult to talk about mental health problems with my family, friends and my doctor, (who says my blood pressure is fine and I don't appear depressed or to have OCD) and so decided that talking online would make a start. Apologies if I've gone on a bit!
Bookmark and Share

Online crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hi, I think anxiety and stress are worsening my health problems!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 05:39:03 AM »
Hi thependragon,

Welcome to the forum.  It is great to have you as a member.  This is a wonderful place to get advice and support from people going through similar situations.  The members here are very helpful. It is nice to know we are not alone.

Feel free to explore the forum.  There are lots of useful topics to read.  Feel free to post and ask questions.  If you have specific concerns or questions start a topic in the appropriate section to get the best feedback. There is also a chat room for members 18 years and older that you can access once you have made three meaningful posts in the forum. 

Again welcome to our community.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.