Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: What is globus sensation and what is not?  (Read 145 times)

Offline shaula

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • It's a new day.
    • Poke This Member
What is globus sensation and what is not?
« on: May 26, 2014, 02:37:31 AM »
Hello, all.

Have a quick question for those of us who suffer from this sensation known as globus: the feeling of a lump or something in your throat. A few weeks ago I started experiencing globus sensation on and off. Usually I am okay when I wake up and I have no problem eating/drinking and no pain in neck. My question is how do I know it is globus sensation and not something else? Most of what I have read says that globus sensation tends to occur in your lower throat, like by where your Adam's apple would be. Mine is a little bit higher up than that, though lower than my uvula and my tonsils. It keeps feeling like I need to keep swallowing, though I check my throat and nothing is swollen, and when I open my mouth to breath, there is no obstruction, just that strange sensation.

I do not have GERD, and also do not have post-nasal drip (no heartburn or allergies)! So I am just wondering if globus has to just occur in the Adam's apple region or if it can occur somewhere else. This sensation comes and goes. In fact, in the morning it is basically gone. But at night (when I'm not distracted?) it comes on worse. Any advice would be appreciated in managing this. It is kind of hard to ignore!
Bookmark and Share
Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end.

Hold on if you feel like letting go.

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What is globus sensation and what is not?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 04:25:52 AM »
the sensation feels like a lump in the through, a stuck pill or food, a lot of mucus, etc. that persists for a long time. You know its nothing harmful if it doesnt actually impede your ability to eat or breathe or anything. It's a fairly common problem with anxiety, for some reason no one's entirely sure of.

So I wouldn't worry about how you're feeling, unless it becomes impossible to eat or drink or breathe easily.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 13
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 12:06:04 PM »
Hi, you might be having mucus drainage....are you sure you don't have allergies?  I know because I have the same thing you describe, with my allergy symptoms.

Take care :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline shaula

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • It's a new day.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 05:47:40 PM »
Hello.

I do absolutely not have any allergies whatsoever. I figured that if it is mucus drainage, it might affect my nose, like my nose would be stuffy or my throat would be sore, but nothing like that happens at all. In fact, I feel physically okay, and the feeling of needing to swallow this lump in my throat is only there sometimes. I have looked (or tried, I guess) into my mouth to try to see what is going on, but there is no redness in my throat and nothing is swollen or anything. I have tried hawking (like spitting up the mucus??) and nothng comes up. It is just the sensation of feeling like a lump and a sort of pressure on the inside of my throat, not so much in the back of my mouth by my tongue, but almost like by my uvula if not a bit behind it.

Also the feeling definitely comes and goes, as I have said before. It is there sometimes, but is especially worse at night when I am alone. When I am distracted, I barely notice. Also, when I put pressure above my Adam's apple, it kinda feels tight, almost like I wanna gag.

What bothers me is really just where it is, and not the sensation itself. From what I have read online, globus sensation usually happens in the lower throat. Mine is not so much in the lower throat, at least, it doesn't feel that way at all. I am just wondering if that is a normal sensation or indicative of something more sinister. Then again, this has been happening for a few weeks already, off and on, and it hasn't come to anything, always just the sensation and nothing else...but it is just such an ugly feeling that It is hard to ignore when it happens!!!
Bookmark and Share
Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end.

Hold on if you feel like letting go.

Tags: