Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Twitching left foot - ALS worry  (Read 207 times)

Offline worrying_again

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Twitching left foot - ALS worry
« on: May 25, 2014, 05:37:55 PM »
Hey guys,
I visited here a few years ago with symptoms of twitching in my calves. I visited the doctor but he didn't seem too worried. I received a PM at the time from a member telling me I was too young to have it, stop researching, etc... I took his advice and within a couple of weeks the twitching went away. (Male, ~30 y.o.)

About a week ago I started noticing the arch of my left foot twitching. Also my feet in general seem a little stiff. I can explain the twitching and stiffness around the time it had started but not sure why it would last longer. I am obviously concerned again about ALS. The thing is though, the twitching is concentrated on my left arch. I notice some stiffness in my left foot as well. But I also am getting some twitches in my left/right calves, my left forearm, my right shin, etc..

My question is, when ALS starts, does it have a general onset of working its way through the body or would the twitches be random? My twitches seem random right now. I am just really concerned with this whole ALS thing again to the point I seem to sit down, take off my socks and just see if I can watch the twitches. This has become borderline obsessive. I am not noticing any weakness either. Perhaps it is nothing, just looking for some advice to get through this whole ALS slump I am in again.

Also, wondering for those whose ALS started in their foot leg, were your muscles tender when you pressed in on them?

Not quiet sure what I expect to get out of this though. I mean I've ready the FAQs and what not, just looking for support I guess.

Thanks,
C
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Twitching left foot - ALS worry
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 01:30:03 PM »
I've had twitches / fasciculations for over 17 years.  I could take my shoe off right now and watch twitching on the bottom of my foot (the softer area, or arch). I also get twitches in my arms, stomach, legs, face, and pretty much everywhere else.  I spent a full year CONVINCED I had ALS (this is about 15 years ago) and saw two Neurologists on 3 separate occasions.  I had Electo-conductive tests, physical strength evaluations, MRI and they found nothing.  I wish I had saved it, because there's this great article written by a neurologist who said that one of the most common reason for visits is people worried about twitching, tingling, and "perceived" weakness in their leg.  At one point, I was SOOO wound up that if I tripped going up stairs, it would completely destroy my day, and I'd spend the entire day replaying the incident over and over in my mind.  I would frequently compare the muscles between my right/left hand, feet, arms, calves, etc.  It's an awful way to live.  The good news is that ALS is relatively rare (only 2 per 100,000 people in the USA), and is more common in people over 60.  I hope this gives you some relief --- God Bless :)
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 01:50:58 PM »
Twitches are typically nothing to be concerned about. I have actually know 3 people with ALS. Once has had it over 20 years
(amazing) the other her legs suddenly gave out under her at a bus stop and the other could not open a bottle and things got
progressively worse. None had any twitches.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Niceguy237

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 02:02:58 PM »
I've had twitches / fasciculations for over 17 years.  I could take my shoe off right now and watch twitching on the bottom of my foot (the softer area, or arch). I also get twitches in my arms, stomach, legs, face, and pretty much everywhere else.  I spent a full year CONVINCED I had ALS (this is about 15 years ago) and saw two Neurologists on 3 separate occasions.  I had Electo-conductive tests, physical strength evaluations, MRI and they found nothing.  I wish I had saved it, because there's this great article written by a neurologist who said that one of the most common reason for visits is people worried about twitching, tingling, and "perceived" weakness in their leg.  At one point, I was SOOO wound up that if I tripped going up stairs, it would completely destroy my day, and I'd spend the entire day replaying the incident over and over in my mind.  I would frequently compare the muscles between my right/left hand, feet, arms, calves, etc.  It's an awful way to live.  The good news is that ALS is relatively rare (only 2 per 100,000 people in the USA), and is more common in people over 60.  I hope this gives you some relief --- God Bless :)

I can totally relate to all of this.  In this vicious circle now praying that the docs are right and that's it's all anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: ALS Worry muscle twitching foot