Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of fainting. I am over it!  (Read 181 times)

Offline Vedabug54

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fear of fainting. I am over it!
« on: May 25, 2014, 09:53:13 AM »
A few weeks ago I had a bad vertigo spell that in turn triggered a panic attack and made me feel like I was going to pass out at work. It scared te ***** out of me. This happened twice at work! I went to the doctors and she said it was my brain tricking me into believing I could faint. She said don't worry and I wasn't going to faint. I stated to feel better and now that fear is back. I can't stop obsessing about it, wondering everyone I stand up if I'm going to just pass out. My blood pressure runs high so I know that works in my favor. And typically if your going to faint you just faint, there's not much panic or feelings , you just do and wake up. Can anyone help me overcome this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Vedabug54

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of fainting. I am over it!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 01:31:40 PM »
No hekp? Is it possible for me to even faint? Would I feel the lightheadedness, panic, which In TUrn would shoot my blood pressure up?
Bookmark and Share

Offline PsalmSeven

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 02:48:04 PM »
Hey, I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. Just wondering a couple of things:

First, have you ever fainted before? It might be one of those things that everyone experiences differently, but I fainted once when I was a kid, and I remember I actually did feel it coming. I just didn't know what it was or what to do about it at the time. But ever since then, whenever I feel it happening I sit down as soon as possible and that helps the feeling to pass. It only takes a few minutes and I've never fainted since.

Second, do you stand a lot at your job? I had numerous fainting scares until I figured out that every time it happened I'd been standing with my knees "locked"...my legs straight...and this can actually restrict blood flow in some people and cause them to faint. Have you ever watched one of those funny home video shows on TV where they show a clip of someone passing out during a wedding? Like the priest is talking and all of a sudden the best man topples over? It's because they were standing in one place for a long time with their knees locked. The solution is to walk around a little, or stand with your knees slightly bent instead of straight. It feels strange at first, but once you get in the habit it's not so bad. I hope this helps.
Bookmark and Share

Online anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 209
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 03:03:57 PM »
Bad vertigo was part of my panic symptoms.....I always was afraid I'd end up on the floor at work.  However, if it's vertigo, my doc says you rarely, if ever, faint from that.  Dizziness and fainting are a distinct feeling and you are dizzy for a long period of time before you faint.  I think typically is comes on and before you know it, if you don't sit, you faint.  I could be wrong, that's just what I've heard because I've not fainted before.  As PsalmSeven said, some folks do faint from locking their knees if standing too long.

The vertigo is a real pain!  When you feel it coming on, I know it's hard, but try to distract yourself.  Sometimes cool water on the back of the neck helps the vertigo feeling as well.

Best of luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Vedabug54

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 03:11:59 PM »
thanks guys. I have never fainted before. I do work on my feet for 8 hours a day, but thats never been an issue. I made it through my entire pregnancy doing that job. I did see my doctor for the vertigo. She said my brain was tricking me into believing I was going to pass out. The sensations of vertigo triggered the panic which made me feel that way. It scared me so badly that its now stuck in my head. What If i feel that way again and pass out in the middle of a crowd? or im with just my kids? Like i said ive never passed out and only one other time did I feel that bad was when my son got bit by a dog. The doctor said it was avascogeal reaction to seeing my son in pain. Im just so scared of the feeling of passing out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 08:16:05 PM »
Have you ever watched one of those funny home video shows on TV where they show a clip of someone passing out during a wedding? Like the priest is talking and all of a sudden the best man topples over? It's because they were standing in one place for a long time with their knees locked.

This is so interesting!  I didn't have any idea of this before!  Also, note to self: if ever in a wedding, don't stand like that...  :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Online anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 02:27:03 PM »
Vedabug, when you are feeling the vertigo, try to find something to do so that you aren't giving it attention....seems the more attention you give it, the worse it gets......maybe when you are feeling the vertigo just tell yourself to sit and read a book, or go outside and take some photographs....anything to ignore the vertigo....it's an anxiety symptom, and as with most symptoms, if you ignore them and distract, they will pass.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Vedabug54

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 04:34:04 PM »
Thank you anxiouskathie. I am trying to ignore it. The worst is just *WONDERING* If im going to faint, anticipatory anxiety I suppose. Predicting the future,and In my mind if Iworry about it enough, I am preventing it. Which I know is not the truth. So the hard part is to just ignore when my brain is telling me otherwise!! very frustrating
Bookmark and Share

Online anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 06:27:02 PM »
I agree!!!  Very, very frustrating.... Just tell that vertigo to find another friend!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
I started feeling like that when they put me on blood pressure meds (ironically enough).  When my BP was sky high, I felt fine, but the meds often make me feel like I'm going to pass out if I stand up too quickly.  Also, FEAR of fainting triggers the "fight or flight" response which causes your blood to flow downward into your legs (to run from a grizzly bear)... as a result of the change in bloodflow, you're left feeling lightheaded and faint. I'm sure you're familiar with the vasal-vagal reaciont(sp)?  It's a fancy word for "fight or flight".  Anxiety will bring it on faster than anything else I can think of.  Be well!
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline Vedabug54

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 07:45:44 PM »
Yes I'm familiar with that reaction! My dr told me when we have anxiety attcks, it may feel like we are going to faint but it's near impossible cause your blood pressure shoots up.  I just wish I could shake it, I don't want to anticipate it anymore
Bookmark and Share

Offline WishfullnHopefull

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 09:42:17 PM »
vertigo, headache migraine feeling faint are common anxiety i went doctors saying i was so faint i couldnt walk for more than 2 mins and she said it was due to high anxiety
Bookmark and Share

Offline Vedabug54

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 07:27:05 AM »
Thanks guys, I'm going to my doctors to
TALk about it. I can't stop thinking about it and
It's been three days now
Bookmark and Share

Tags: