Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Panicking  (Read 155 times)

Offline PsalmSeven

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Panicking
« on: May 25, 2014, 03:52:42 AM »
Ugh...when will this health anxiety end? If it's not one thing, it's another! Tonight I was bothered by a tonsil stone and tried unsuccessfully to get it out. I tried for about an hour, straining my throat, scraping at it with a q-tip and toothbrush, all for nothing. The stone is still there. That's not what's scaring me though. It seems that all my efforts to remove the stone have irritated my throat, and my uvula has started to swell. So forget the tonsil stone... Now I'm worried my throat will swell shut and suffocate me. Is that even possible? I took an ibuprofen. I'm very tired but afraid to sleep. How long until this pain and swelling goes away? :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Panicking
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 05:07:31 AM »
Well you won't be doing that again in a hurry. All it has done has caused you some more pain. Lesson learned. You won't die from it. Might be sore for a day or two. Anything would be if we kept scraping at it and doing what you done. Just give it a few days. I am sure it will clear up.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 05:24:13 AM »
I've heard toothpicks are good for removing tonsil stones.  But I probably shouldn't recommend that you go sticking sharp objects in your throat.  No, it won't swell shut and kill you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 08:48:31 AM »
I'm sure you eventually fell asleep because you are fine.
I never remove those things, they will just come out on their own.   I've tilted my neck real far to the side it is on and pushed my shoulder into my neck to "work it loose" - that usually works after multiple tries.  Don't stick things there - you only cause more problems.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PsalmSeven

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 02:16:38 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Nope, I won't be doing that again. I'll just gag and retch and puke for days until it comes out on its own, because apparently that's the only other option. :(

I tried the qtip and soft toothbrush because those are actually things that doctors have recommended for very stubborn stones. There's a certain way you can use them to "gently" scrape out the stones, which is what I tried to do. I've never had to try it in 20 years because I've always been able to just wait them out, and plus I really hate to gag. But this one was already making me gag frequently and throw up (once), so I felt I had to try it.

The stone did come out after I gargled with salt water all night. Immediately after it came out I stopped gagging and the swelling went away. So I didn't rip up my throat, it seems the pain/swelling was caused by all the gagging. It makes sense now that I think about it. The qtip never touched my uvula.

I've heard of people using toothpicks, or even paperclips to loosen stubborn stones, but those aren't doctor recommended and I wouldn't trust myself using them. Waterpiks are also recommended, but they're kind of expensive. Still might be worth buying though.

I just hope I never get it this bad again. That was AWFUL. :sick0002: I mean sorry for posting here freaking out over something that must sound so insignificant, but I've had cancer scares that were less traumatizing to me than this. It was really, really, really bad.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 09:29:47 PM »
Doesn't seem odd to me at all.  I'm SO glad I don't have tonsils - tonsil stones seem so gross and unpleasant.  I'd go crazy every time I had one, too.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: