Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Nausea, vomiting, dizziness, racing heart -- panic attack?  (Read 203 times)

Offline atleswoolf

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
It's been quite some time since I've had what I think of as a bona fide panic attack, but I think I had one last night.  My mother died a few weeks ago, and I've been in and out of anxiety and depression ever since, with the anxiety usually manifesting as health anxiety. 

I was doing okay yesterday, was working on various projects, had pizza for dinner, and about half an hour later started feeling shaky.  Cold sweat, nausea, trembling, racing pulse, churning stomach.  No real chest pain per se, but naturally my mind went to "heart attack."  I left the house and walked around the block, thinking that this would burn up some of the adrenaline.  I managed the walk fine, with no pain, but came back inside and promptly threw up my pizza.  My pulse continued to race and only subsided after I took a Xanax.  The pulse has been fine today, though I feel exhausted and still shaken from the episode.

Does this sound like a panic attack, or something worse?  Naturally, the health anxiety keeps telling me this was a heart attack.  For the record, in the last nine months, I've had three EKGs and a stress test, all of which were fine.  My cholesterol is good, and my blood pressure has been well under control for over three years.  I'm about twenty pounds overweight, but don't smoke or drink. 
Bookmark and Share
I meant to write about death, only life came breaking in as usual.  -- Virginia Woolf, Diary, 17 February 1922.

Offline candaceb816

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Nausea, vomiting, dizziness, racing heart -- panic attack?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 04:42:59 PM »
First, I'm terribly sorry for your loss! I lost my mom last June and it was so hard..so if you ever wanna talk let me know!! It sounds exactly like a panic attack and stress. I can't say "try to relax" because I know how hard that is, but know it most likely isn't anything serious.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 05:52:24 PM »
So sorry for your loss.  I lost my dad a few years ago and it's hard.  The first few months are really terrible; it gets easier after the first year.  It never gets *easy* but it gets to the point where it's bearable most of the time.  If you can attend grief counseling or a support group that might help get through the hard parts.

As for your symptoms, those do sound like panic attacks to me.  Which are totally understandable under the circumstances.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rap_Talon

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 05:55:33 PM »
Very sorry about your loss. I recently lost somebody dear to me, and I know how painful it can be.

You've had all the tests to show that there's no problem with your heart, and it seems as though you have very little in the way of risk factors. I'm sure you're in the clear there! It definitely sounds like it could be a panic attack. I've never vomited when having one, personally, but otherwise all the symptoms are consistent with ones I've experienced.

Another idea could be some sort of stomach bug, or a reaction to the pizza or something in it. What with it coming on after eating, it's definitely a possibility. Either way, it doesn't seem like anything to worry about  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 10:04:38 PM »
I am sorry about your loss. I lost my father, mother and uncle all within a year and it is
no easy thing. It sounds like a panic attack, but if it happens again, I would call your
physician.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Kmj023

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 11:41:43 PM »
Agreeing with them as well. Sounds like panic attack.
I lost my grandmother in 2008 and it caused me to have panic attacks. Then my dad passed away and actually today made 3 years since he passed. I only had one mild attack when he passed.  So I am sorry for your loss and know what it's like.

I do believe it's panic attacks but you can always go to your dr for reassurance. Hope you feel better soon.
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"

"Anxiety is not a doctor. Neither is the internet."

Actual diagnosis : chronic sinusitis.
Google diagnosis : brain cancer.

Symptoms : dizzy head feeling.

Offline hkov

• God Never Panics
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 06:05:24 AM »
Im sorry for your loss - I too just lost my mom and I think I am going insane a little more each day.  there are SO MANY emotions you will have to deal with a and everyone of the symptoms is normal.  I have a lot of anxiety everyday over losing my mom and because I have health anxiety it will make them even worse.  let your mind and body feel what they want to - you are experiencing a very hard time and these symptoms will pass - eventually
don't be too hard on yourself your body is in shock and it is trying to cope.
Bookmark and Share
"But without Faith it is impossible to please God"

Offline atleswoolf

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 11:17:07 AM »
Thank you so much for the very kind replies.  I had dinner with friends last night, and managed to get through it without any problems.  Still very achy and sore and tired -- the feeling as though someone has beaten my limbs.  No more racing pulse or nausea since that incident, however, which is good.  I'm seeing my doctor on Wednesday just to get checked out, which should help put my mind at ease.  In the meantime, I'm a bit leery of doing anything that'll get my heart rate up. 

Thank you all, again.  This community is a lifesaver.
Bookmark and Share
I meant to write about death, only life came breaking in as usual.  -- Virginia Woolf, Diary, 17 February 1922.

Tags: