Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Celexa and iodine / shellfish allergy  (Read 134 times)

Offline prayerworks

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Celexa and iodine / shellfish allergy
« on: May 24, 2014, 08:50:32 AM »
Hi everyone. I am new here but not new to Gad.  Was diagnosed with it about 28 years ago and still suffering.  Have tried to go on several meds for it over the years and did not tolerate well.  I wish to try again.  My doctor prescribed Celexa.  Before I take anything I always check the ingredients first as I have allergies.  Celexa has an inactive ingredient named crospovidone.  I have a severe allergy to iodine and shellfish.  I asked my doc and he says it is not a problem.  I am very anxious about it.  Anyone here with severe iodine / shellfish allergy taking Celexa without a problem.  Thanks for your input.
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Celexa and iodine / shellfish allergy
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 12:42:04 PM »
Hello PW, and welcome to Anxiety Zone!  My name is Chuck, and I am one of the Global Moderators here on the site.

You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made three meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

PW, crospovidone is used as a binding agent and disintegrant in many oral medication tablets.  Research indicates that crospovidone is not absorbed by the human digestive system, and therefore simply passes through the body.

There is a very good chance that you have taken crospovidone on many occasions, and have not been aware of it.

You did not indicate in your post what anti-depressants you have tried in the past, and for how long.  Unfortunately, in the beginning stages of treatment, anti-depressant can make a bad situation worse for a period of time, due to side effects of the medication.  I am taking Celexa, PW, and have been on it for some six months now.  I am one of those individuals that had some pretty severe side effects from the Celexa, when I first started, but I stuck it out, and most of them diminished greatly some 2-3 weeks into treatment.

When you start your Celexa, I suggest you start off at a low dose, either 5 or 10 mg, but not exceeding 10 mg.  You can go up 5-10 mg every 7-10 days till you reach a therapeutic dose.  The low therapeutic dose for Celexa is 20 mg, with a maximum dose of 40 mg.

I hope that this information helps you.

Again, welcome to Anxiety Zone, PW.  If you have any question, feel free to ask.  The very best to you!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline prayerworks

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 04:02:55 PM »
Thank you Chucko.  Your post is helpful to me.  I would still like to hear if anyone else with iodine / shellfish allergies can take Celexa.  But I think I will go ahead and give it a try.  I am tired suffering with these persistent and constant doom and gloom thoughts.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 06:40:10 PM »
I have a severe allergy to iodine and shellfish.

Welcome to AnxietyZone,

Do you actually have a proven allergy to iodine, or do you think you have because you're allergic to some seafood. Most people with seafood allergy are in fact not allergic to iodine. It is a common misconception.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline prayerworks

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 10:26:07 AM »
I have a proven severe allergy to both iodine and shellfish.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: