Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Blood in bowel movement  (Read 762 times)

Offline candaceb816

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Blood in bowel movement
« on: May 24, 2014, 08:03:52 AM »
I know this is complete tmi, but this morning when I went to the bathroom, there was a significant amount of blood in the toilet, even staining the water. It was bright red, and I've had a hemmorroid before, but it alarmed me. I wasn't expecting to see it.  My mother in law said it's deff from the hemmorroid as she has had one and had a lot of blood before, but it scared me. Should I just stop worrying?
Bookmark and Share

Online Lindsay2427

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
Re: Blood in bowel movement
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 08:10:32 AM »
I would keep an eye on it. Don't stress but if it continues to happen see your Dr. Usually blood that drips into the toilet and stains the water is hem related but you can't be sure until diagnosed. I have internal hems that sometime leave blood streaks on my stool. I also had a small hyperplastic polyp that would also bleed on occasion and cause a small amount if bleeding (only on stool surface not water) Other causes of large bleeds could be ulcerative colitis or infection of the lower colon or rectum.
Bookmark and Share

Online Brick5711

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 08:12:28 AM »
Blood, no matter the age, needs to be investifated with a colonoscopy. A couple of us youngins (in our 20'S) have had polyps removed from the sigmoid colon which appeared as bright red bleeding. Polyps can also rupture causing significant amount of blood in toilet. Can it be hemorrhoids? Yes absolutely. But only colonoscooy will give you the definite answer on that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline candaceb816

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 08:17:21 AM »
Well I've had hemorrhoids in the past that have caused bleeding and I know that they can flare up at times.
Bookmark and Share

Online Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 08:27:55 AM »
I would have bleeding (very very small amounts on stool surface) with a hard BM. That is usually what will flare hemorrhoids. The little polyp I had was also in the sigmoid colon so harder stool sliding across it could also make it bleed. I am not 100% certain if the polyp was bleeding or my hems (or both) and I have stop looking at my stools all together for my own sanity so I can't tell you if my hems are still leaving small amounts of blood. I had the polyp removed in April with colonoscopy. Like I said keep an eye on it. Don't stress out. Because chances are it's nothing of concern. I stress about having CC for 15 months. It borderline ruined my life. Had I just had that scope when I first saw blood I would have been diagnosed with internal hems and had that polyp out and went on with my life ( I have severe HA so I bet I would t have been totally stress free) but it would have saved me almost a year and a half of debilitating anxiety. If you see it again I do highly advise seeing a Gastro. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline candaceb816

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 08:34:55 AM »
Thanks for your reply. How old are you? If you don't mind me asking. Yeah, this is the most I've seen and it obviously alarmed me, but I realized that I think I "strained" from a BM a couple days ago which usually flares them up. I'm 23(birthday was yesterday) and I'm sad because now my HA is so high :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Myocdragon

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 08:51:02 AM »
If it's bright red, that's a good sign. Pro'lly just a hmroid.  I had mine treated several years ago through a series of three injections. It wasn't painful, but it was uncomfortable. Also it was very awkward. My doctor kept trying to make small talk while my knees were pulled to my chest and he was injecting me. However, I haven't been bothered by them in years. I would recommend going to a proctologist and getting treated. it makes for a hilarious story you never want to tell anyone, and it removes all this anxiety.
Good luck
Bookmark and Share
I'm not crazy, I've just lost my mind

Offline candaceb816

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 09:00:30 AM »
Yep, bright red! Scared the ***** out of me(literally) this is so embarrassing to talk about! Ugh but when I was "going" my BM was really hot and kinda burning me.
Bookmark and Share

Online Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 09:10:46 AM »
I am 26 and will be 27 on Tuesday. The hems were most likely caused by my 4 pregnancies and vaginal deliveries and hyperplastic polyps are more Common then realized. Actually my grandparents had them too. Thankfully they pose no cancer risk but benign growth in the colon. I only had one and it was a little under 1cm. I have a very very vascular colon as well which is prob why it would bleed a long with my hems.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Myocdragon

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 09:28:30 AM »
It is embarrassing, but you're doing the right thing by talking about it. I'm 43, and I never would have addressed this when I was 23. Frankly I didn't even realize I had OCD or GAD when I was 23, but I wish I had been more open when I was your age because I could've saved myself 20 years of needless suffering, from hmroids or OCD or whatever. Heck, just look at how many poop posts there are daily here. They should have their own forum!
Bookmark and Share

Offline candaceb816

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 11:32:41 AM »
Haha I have no shame on here though! Thanks for being helpful.  Honestly not going to worry until it happens a couple more times. I have a history of hemms and bleeding and stuff and honestly, I was at a hotel and the toilet is really small so idk...maybe it looked worse than it was.
Bookmark and Share

Online Brick5711

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 11:53:28 AM »
I am 23. Get it checked. I had a polyp that only bleed occassionally until it was so big it turned into every day. If it is a hemorrhoid, great. If not, at least you caught it early.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Myocdragon

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 01:21:13 PM »
Only at anxiety zone would someone write the sentence, "If it is a hemorrhoid, great," and have fifty people nod their heads in agreement.
Bookmark and Share

Offline candaceb816

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 01:26:15 PM »
Well now I'm scared it's something more like a polyp :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Myocdragon

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 01:39:23 PM »
By all means, get it checked by a physician. But just playing the odds means it's much more like to be a hemorrhoid.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: