Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: switching to zoloft  (Read 70 times)

Offline forever young

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
switching to zoloft
« on: May 24, 2014, 08:00:46 AM »
I am suppose to switch to Zoloft from celexa. I am afraid to switch but don't think celexa was doing all it should. I have just read so many on here having anxiety and panic still. I know I should just take the leap of faith and will have to as I have gotten my prescription filled and just waiting when I don't have a lot going on I have to keep my grandson today. are there any success stories would love to hear them.

Ina is it true that Prozac goes thru the liver and other meds might cause a problem? does Prozac affect the liver more than other meds like Zoloft? I am puzzled about that as I was on Prozac and did good for a year. then went off of it and couldn't get back on it due to terrible insomnia. I feel I still may have to give it another try and wanted to but the pdr was a little against it. I just hope Zoloft works for me I am tired of trying new meds. I like everyone else wants to get better. I need to work on agrophobia and like I am it is hard.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 86
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: switching to zoloft
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 05:51:34 PM »
Ina is it true that Prozac goes thru the liver and other meds might cause a problem? does Prozac affect the liver more than other meds like Zoloft?

No. SSRIs are metabolized via the liver, indeed most meds are. There are some differences in the liver isoenzymes that degrade each of them, but this isn't usually that significant. If you're taking other meds metabolized by the same isoenzymes then the breakdown of each can be affected to some degree, however, this can be corrected by a dose adjustment. Balancing such interactions is one of the main reasons meds have to be prescribed by a doctor. Prozac isn't any better or worse in this regard that most of the others. Luvox, (fluvoxamine) is the SSRI with the most impact on other meds.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: