Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: violent/dark jokes make me terrified of the people who make them  (Read 86 times)

Offline pika

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
i'm in a really bad state right now and i'm in desperate need of help. i've had this problem since i was a little kid. any time someone around me makes an off-color joke or a violent comment in a joking manner, i become morbidly terrified of them and start obsessing over whether or not they were secretly being serious. i get intrusive thoughts about them being a serial killer and i become paranoid that they're going to hurt me. before anyone dubs me as psychotic, i KNOW the thoughts are irrational because they're only triggered by certain things, but the fear is so intense that it makes me very depressed and panicky and sometimes the obsession will last for months on end. this has happened with numerous people in my life and now it's fixated onto a family member who has a dark, dry sense of humor. all the people in the past that i've been afraid of have had the same sort of humor (joking about killing someone or being a psychopath or about hurting animals).

i know this topic belongs in the ocd forum but it's a slow forum and i need help asap because i can't sleep and i feel ill worrying over this so much. i can't stand my imagination and how it automatically jumps to the worst possible conclusion. i can't take a joke, i take everything seriously as a sign of threat towards me, and even though i know it's stupid i still can't shake it off.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: violent/dark jokes make me terrified of the people who make them
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 05:30:46 AM »
You said yourself you know the thoughts are irrational. You have all but answered your own post. Think of all the years this has been going on. Have any of those people actually become violent? Turned into nasty serial killers? This is what you have to think of. It has been going on long enough. I bet in all that time no of those people involved turned out like you ever imagined. It is that I would keep in my mind. People tell jokes all the time. Some jokes are not so nice. But people still tell them. Not because they are bad people. More for a reaction. Just keep track of all the times you have these thoughts. How people are after you have had the thought. I doubt you will see any change in the people at all.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline pika

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: violent/dark jokes make me terrified of the people who make them
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 04:40:56 PM »
that's a good point. none of the people i've ever been afraid of have actually ever DONE anything physical to make me afraid of them, it's just that my imagination makes me think the most horrible thoughts and make connections where there probably truly aren't any connections to be made. it's gotten so bad that i'm even afraid of charismatic/charming/intelligent people because i connect that sort of personality to people like ted bundy and other sociopaths. it's ridiculous.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: