Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Subungual melanoma or fungal toenail infection?  (Read 849 times)

Offline Lililanny

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Subungual melanoma or fungal toenail infection?
« on: May 23, 2014, 04:05:41 PM »
Picture pending approval.......

What do you think? My toenail has had discolouration fora while, but it has started to turn black so quickly, like literally in the past few days.
Bookmark and Share
Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got - Graffito

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Subungual melanoma or fungal toenail infection?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 04:33:42 PM »
That's fast even for melanoma
.A pic would tell all tho
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lililanny

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 10:57:35 AM »
Picture has been approved.
Please help me, I'm having major anxiety over this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lulululu

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 11:52:31 AM »
thats how my nails look if they get hurt in some way. my guess would be bleeding. my right toe has some
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

• Rec's: 4
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 12:27:56 PM »
Although I am no doctor, this actually looks like a subungual hematoma.

Subungual melanoma usually presents itself as a longitudinal tan, black, or brown streak on a finger or toe nail. And it would also take months, possibly years for it to actually develop like yours as. Based on the fact that the discolouration is not longitudinal, and has developed quite quickly, it is quite possible that it is sublingual hematoma and not a melanoma. Hematomas are very common as well. Not only that, but it can take months for them to get darker and grow larger.

I suggest that you go get it checked out and seek treatment but certainly don't worry about it being a melanoma. Sublungual melanoma are extremely rare - especially in lighter skinned people. The statistics are definitely on your side.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lililanny

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 12:53:08 PM »
If it's s subungual hematoma would I have hurt it in some way? Or would it be painful? I haven't hurt it or damaged it. This does not hurt at all.
It has been a discoloured off yellowy colour and thickened texture for a good while now, but then black in the space of a week.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 01:13:28 PM »
If it's s subungual hematoma would I have hurt it in some way? Or would it be painful?

Possibly yes and no. "Runner's toe" is a term describing a common condition seen in runners caused by downward pressure. Runner's toe is often associated with malfitting shoes and insufficient space for the toes. This may not cause you pain but the slight repeated injuries over time can build up to cause blood build up. Or, of course, you may of injured it with a knock on the toe or something. Sometimes these can take months to develop. You may of injured your toe but simply forgot about it because it caused you no concern.

But like I said, I am no doctor. Only a professional can give you an accurate diagnosis so seek professional advice. But from the picture, that's what it looks like to me. There are other toe conditions that can cause discolouration like yours. But in any case, it certainly doesn't follow the usual appearance of a melanoma of the toe. Whatever it is, I don't think you should be worrying about it being a melanoma. Melanoma takes months sometimes years for it to develop - and when it does, it is usually a longitudinal black line. Even if it was a longitudinal black line, there are other benign conditions that can mimic a melanoma of the toe. Melanonychia for example. But these conditions, including melanoma are most commonly seen in darker skinned patients. Bob Marley famously died of Subungual melanoma.

I have been through this worry myself by the way. I saw a grey spot/patch on the palm of my hand - I automatically thought it was melanoma. I also bite my nails which sometimes causes blood blotches to appear at the nail bed which last for months. And because they last for months, I always have the slight worry about it being melanoma.

But after checking the statistics over and over again in times of worry, I find that the probability is extremely small for me. And the same applies to you. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline lulululu

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 01:14:31 PM »
I have it sometimes because of running in tight shoes
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 01:16:04 PM »
I have it sometimes because of running in tight shoes

There you go. Right after I explain "Runner's Toe", someone right here is living proof of it lol. It is quite a common condition.
Bookmark and Share

Online Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 01:48:23 PM »
I get my feet stepped on by horses all the time and this looks like a standard bruise under the toenail.  Sometimes they hurt and sometimes they don't.  Eventually it will grow out.  Nothing to worry about...if.it bothers you cosmetically use a neutral colored nail polish.
Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 03:04:26 PM »
Naw, melanoma wouldn't get that size in a few days.

If that has been over the course of 3-5 weeks than it would be more concerning, but this is like hemmorage like a bruise
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lililanny

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 03:52:26 AM »
Yeah it really was in the space of a few days, because I put nail polish on last weekend and it wasn't there. I put it on to cover the embarrassing discolouration as I was going swimming. Then after swimming the polish started to chip off and saw the black developing.
Is it weird though that the black started to develop in the same area where the yellow discolouration was? And as I said, I have no recollection of damaging or hurting my toe. I have no pain there.
Maybe it is that Runners toe you describe?
Should I go back to the doctor?
I still have the prescription of the anti fungal tablets that my doctor gave me a few months ago, but I had to stop taking them after about a week, because they made me feel SO nauseous.  And I felt there was no way I could take them for 3-6 months, which is apparently how long it takes.
But then I read that subungual melanoma can takes years to develop and can often look like something else, e.g. fungal, that part is kind of in keeping with my story.
I actually didn't know that that's how Bob Marley died, I only knew it was C, not what type.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 07:28:30 PM »
Is it weird though that the black started to develop in the same area where the yellow discolouration was?

Why do you think this? Fungal infections can become black. And if it is an infection, it makes sense that the black developed where the yellow was since that would be where the infection is. It would be strange if you developed a black patch somewhere else alongside the yellow patch.

Have you checked out any statistics for this type of cancer? The scientific name is acral lentiginous melanoma. Of all melanomas, this, along with other rare types make up 10% of all cases in the UK. About 1 to 3% of melanomas in Australia and New Zealand are acral lentiginous melanoma. Acral lentiginous melanoma accounts for 29-72% of melanoma in dark-skinned individuals but less than 1% of melanoma in fair skinned people. The majority arise in people over the age of 40.

It is extremely rare for you to get this type of cancer.

But if you haven't been to the doctor about this problem yet, then I recommend that you do go to get some treatment because there is obviously something wrong with it. But I don't think it is melanoma. I wouldn't worry about it being melanoma. You are catastrophizing too much.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lililanny

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 03:29:09 PM »
So I'm thinking, if it can take months or years to develop, what would a subungual melanoma start out like? Cos my toenail has been discoloured, yellow, thickened and brittle for months now. Could it start out like that?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lazer

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 12:44:52 AM »
My father was a Podiatrist and in his 63 years of working, he never once saw a Melanoma under a nail.

Not to say it's not possible, but it's not an everyday thing.  It is the main cancer that Podiatrists are concerned about.  My father told me that each one was as everyone here is saying.  A subungual Hematoma or blood under the nail.

I would say either see a Podiatrist, a Dermatologist, or keep an eye on it to see if it grows out which it probably will.

Best of luck and it probably won't make a difference, but trust me, don't worry.  The chances of you having what you fear is remote at best.

Good Luck!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: