Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Set back after two months on zololft  (Read 363 times)

Offline panicman

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Set back after two months on zololft
« on: May 23, 2014, 02:29:01 PM »
Hi.  Has anyone experienced a setback after being on Zoloft for 2 months?  I started at 50mg and gradually ramped up to 150 over the course of a month so I've been on the 150 dose for about 4 weeks.  I was doing much better for the past 3 weeks or so.  starting to feel like myself again.  This week has been stressful but no more than other weeks.  On Monday I had the first real panic attack I've had in several weeks while driving to work.  then another while at work on Tuesday.  then this morning I woke up feeling really anxious and had to take klonopin just to get the kids to school.  Very frustrating to have been on the road to recovery and having a few good weeks and now I feel like im back to square one.  I really don't want to increase my Zoloft anymore as im already at 150 and the first month of side effects were hell.  My dr said it could take up to 12 weeks to see the full effects.  Just don't understand how I could be doing so well and now even the smallest things are a struggle again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: Set back after two months on zololft
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 02:47:32 PM »
I am also on zoloft (125 mg) and have set backs every once in a while as well. I was doing fantastic for all of this week and then yesterday afternoon I was extremely anxious, then I had an almost panic attack last night, and then this morning I was anxious as well. I am feeling better this afternoon though.

I think I have read that se tbacks are normal, even this late into treatment. It doesn't mean the med isn't working, it just means your anxiety is particularly high that day for whatever reason. I am trying not to dwell on it and realize that it is just an odd day or two. Stressing about it will probably just make it worse, so just let it happen and tomorrow will be a new day.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Myocdragon

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 03:37:04 PM »
It's funny (not haha funny) but I'm experiencing a setback this week with Prozac after having been on prozac for 6 weeks and having felt basically great for three weeks! We're setback buddies!

Coincidentally I had my monthly psychiatric session yesterday and I said I was bummed that I felt my depression and OCD creeping back after three weeks. He laughed and literally said, "Are you insane?!" I said, "Well, kind of. I mean, look where I am!" Then he said that it's unrealistic not to expect ups and downs. It's part of recovery. He said that having three great weeks is awesome, but it would be crazy to experience three great weeks of perfect weather and then say, "Well, I guess it's going to be perfect weather from now on and forever!"

I haven't had a genuine panic attack in about three years, or maybe even four, but I remember them all too well. I didn't need meds until my OCD and MDD were diagnosed, along with the ever present GAD of course, but I can say that I gradually overcame my panic attacks, and you will too. And even though depression robs me of hope, I can say that it too is temporary. I don't feel it, but I know that it's true.

I think that setbacks are normal. This one will end and we'll have learned that we can handle the setbacks. This is my first real setback since I started recovering, and the silver lining is that when it ends, we'll both have overcome our first real setback. And so the next time we have a setback we'll go into it with the knowledge, "Oh, this is a setback. I'm not falling into the abyss. It will pass," and it won't be as frightening. I know that for me, the main reason I'm having a setback is that I'm afraid I'm going ALL THE WAY BACK. I'm afraid that my three weeks of happiness were an illusion. But like you, during that time, I felt "Normal." Normal because that's the way I usually feel. Which means that this setback is the aberration. We'll get through it. It's only temporary.
 :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share
I'm not crazy, I've just lost my mind

Offline panicman

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 05:02:05 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys!  Im feeling somewhat better this afternoon.  I usually feel more anxious in the mornings for some reason and then it gradually lessens as the day goes on.  Trying not to dwell on the setback too much.  It's good to know that other people have gone through it and that things will eventually level out.  I tend to be very hard on myself when I have a setback.  I tend to see it as failure.  I know that's not right so trying to go easy on myself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Myocdragon

• Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 05:18:13 PM »
Mornings tend to be worse for me as well. I think it's because I wake up from either restless sleep, and do my brain isn't working right, or as likely I wake up and immediately start checking in on myself. Am I okay?! Am I depressed?! Do I feel anxious?!

Well you know what's unhealthy, checking in with your anxiety the moment you wake up. Gee, am I anxious? Well I have OCD, major depressive disorder, and generalized anxiety disorder, plus two little kids who need breakfast and a ride to school. Yeah, I'm anxious. And now I'm depressed. Hey OCD, get in here and pile on. Any intrusive thoughts you wanna share while I'm weak?

It's a self fulfilling prophecy. Glad you're better this afternoon. Keep it going. It's only temporary. We'll get through it.
Bookmark and Share
I'm not crazy, I've just lost my mind

Offline bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 10:59:12 PM »
My understanding is that anxiety is usually the worst for us anxiety sufferers,(including myself), because cortisol levels are highest first thing in the morning.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Whisper181

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 09:48:52 PM »
I had a very similar experience with Zoloft.  I was on it for quite some time. Initially it worked and then it just did not. One of the things I did find that help while I was on Zoloft, when I was SLOWLY reducing my dose so I can come off it and boy did it help once I was off meds completely was the way I ate.  I even tested it out once I was off meds altogether.  When I eat a diet based on protein, veggies and fruit with no sugar or processed food, I feel wonderful.  In fact, there is a ton of data to show a temporary boost of some aminos along with this type of diet can reverse the issues with low serotonin among other brain chemicals that cause us to "feel good".  The combination of nutritherapy with psychotherapy is a powerful combination.  Let me know if you have any questions. It's really effective and, well, we all have to eat don't we?
Bookmark and Share
Imagine being able to overcome depression, anxiety, irritability, stress, over sensitivity, emotional eating.... naturally with clinically proven alternatives.  PM me with questions.

Offline insights

• Rec's: 91
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 02:07:25 AM »
In fact, there is a ton of data to show a temporary boost of some aminos along with this type of diet can reverse the issues with low serotonin among other brain chemicals that cause us to "feel good"

Serotonin does not make people feel good, just the opposite. It is the initial increase in serotonin which causes most of the side-effects experienced when first taking serotonergic antidepressants. After a few weeks the brain responds by reducing serotonin synthesis and expression. This is usually about the time the meds begin to kick-in, though the reduction itself isn't responsible for this, just a part of the process. See: Serotonin: The 'chemical imbalance' myth

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Whisper181

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 09:16:30 PM »
In fact, there is a ton of data to show a temporary boost of some aminos along with this type of diet can reverse the issues with low serotonin among other brain chemicals that cause us to "feel good"

Serotonin does not make people feel good, just the opposite. It is the initial increase in serotonin which causes most of the side-effects experienced when first taking serotonergic antidepressants. After a few weeks the brain responds by reducing serotonin synthesis and expression. This is usually about the time the meds begin to kick-in, though the reduction itself isn't responsible for this, just a part of the process. See: Serotonin: The 'chemical imbalance' myth

Ian

Thank you for sharing your opinion.  For clarification, I was not speaking of serotonergic antidepressants or their benefits or ill effects. But thanks for sharing.
Bookmark and Share
Imagine being able to overcome depression, anxiety, irritability, stress, over sensitivity, emotional eating.... naturally with clinically proven alternatives.  PM me with questions.

Offline insights

• Rec's: 91
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 09:30:44 PM »
For clarification, I was not speaking of serotonergic antidepressants or their benefits or ill effects. But thanks for sharing.

It doesn't matter how you increase the amount of serotonin in the brain the result will be the same, increased anxiety. These disorders are not the result of too little brain serotonin, probably the exact opposite.

You also need to consider that the brain actually makes and uses very little of the serotonin found in the body, less than 2%, the GI tract accounts for about 95% with the rest found in the skin, blood vessels and blood platelets.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Online comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 08:55:18 PM »
OK, So is there something to this?  I had a great 2 weeks.  I'm at week 8 and I'm in the middle of a setback.  I guess it's all just part of the healing.  How are you setback buddies doing now?
Bookmark and Share

Offline OCD_intrudes_on_me

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 09:14:43 PM »
I've been taking Zoloft for over 10 years now. I've been on 200mg since the beginning, and I still have setbacks. Zoloft is definitely not a cure of any sort, which you all know, but it has helped me get through some difficult times (I.e divorce, troubles at work, overcoming some of my social anxiety). I guess that's why I joined today. I don't mean to sound as if I'm reveling in your issues, but it's good to know I'm not the only one struggling. Thank you all for being here. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 10:21:55 PM »
interesting to read of others setbacks, I am going thru one too though today was better.  In the past I don't remember too many setbacks one the ad of the time started really working, but on the rare occasion where I would feel more than normal anxiety a bit of klonipin would quell it if taken as needed.  This time I am on 1mg klonopin daily, more if its really bad, and the ad meds haven't been as effective yet as in the past, but I cant say they are doing nothing either, since I have had good days and even weeks.  Still playing around with them trying to find the right one or right combo for me this time around.  I like myocdragons take on setbacks, it is hard to realize in the midst of one that it will ever get better and I do fear that it might be a full on relapse and that I am med resistant but then again, the worst prediction is most often not the correct prediction.  Plus I know well the morning thing, yes mornings are the worst, even on a bad day I know the evening will be better, on a good day it will be awesome. I do believe it is the cortisol level spiking at that time.  I have often wondered why there aren't drugs that target cortisol, also since it comes from the adrenal glands, if one of those was removed, would that help or fix anxiety (somehow I doubt it, or we would all be lining up for that surgery) by lowering cortisol levels?
Bookmark and Share

Online comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 08:33:34 AM »
I guess I really have a hard time calling it a setback.  My body has been in high anxiety mode for 10 months.  I had 2 weeks.  Weeks 5-7 that were great with little to no anxiety.  Week 8 I'm back like the previous 10 months.  Not as bad as when it all started for sure, but waking with dry heaves and then all day dread and anxiety.  Life isn't supposed to be lived this way.  I'm absolutely wore out on this.   Please tell me the rest of my life is not doomed...
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 01:59:47 PM »
I am much better now after having a setback a couple of weeks ago. 125 mg seems to be doing the trick for me.

Comoso, I'm sorry you are having such a rough time. I wake up with dry heaves too when my anxiety is at its worst. Go see your doctor about upping your meds or trying something new. My understanding is that anxiety has a very good track record of being treated with meds. Maybe the med you are on now just isn't the one for you. Your life is most definitely not doomed. You will get better once you find the right med/dosage for you!  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: