Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Occult Blood test Positive  (Read 352 times)

Offline initid

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Occult Blood test Positive
« on: May 23, 2014, 12:16:54 PM »
Hi there,

I am new, I googled about occult blood test being positive and found this forum. I am male, just turned 40 this month.  had my physical exam two days ago, just when I thought "oh, it's just a routine checkup, nothing will be wrong", my doctor said they do rectal exam for anyone over 40, I said sure and she did it, piece of cake. But the result of my occult blood test is positive! She became serious and ordered me the colonoscopy.

The colonoscopy is scheduled to be on the coming Tuesday, 5/27, first day after the memorial holiday. Funny thing is the secretary at the GI's office even asked if I would mind it's right after the memorial day because there is restriction for diet before the procedure, I said no I don't, I would like this to be done ASAP.

And I am panicking! I have a 3 year old boy, how could this is happening to me? I googled a lot about the disease, and I am terrorized every time I think of the worst possibility.

Some facts about me: I am healthy otherwise, never really experienced any discomfort in the belly, never suspect I would have colon disease, not even remotely. Bowl movements are fine to good (twice a day), especially recently I almost always have formed bowl movement.

I still can perform in my job, but whenever I have spare time, I think of this, and will keep googling, this is the longest wait in my entire life!

Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
Re: Occult Blood test Positive
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 10:20:20 PM »
First of all I'm sorry you are stressing, I truly know first hand how terrible anxiety over your health is. I am 26 years old and will be 27 on Tuesday. I have 4 young children and I have suffered from health anxiety and hypochondria since childhood. Since February 2013 I was absolutely obsessed with Colon cancer after noticing periodic blood on the surface of my stool. I spent hours and hours on google. After 15 months of living in such agony I contacted a GI doctor who wanted to do a colposcopy. That was in January of this year. I put it off because of fear. Not because of the procedure but of the finding. I decided to have the scope in April. The cause of bleeding was 1 tiny polyp in my sigmoid colon and internal hemorrhoids. The polyp was removed and biopsied and it was a hyperplastic polyp which is 100% benign with no C word chance. I can not tell you how relieved I was. I am still struggling with my health anxiety though. :(

The good news with your case. A positive FOBT doesn't mean anything. It could be due to a hem, vitamins, your diet, irritation.... I know it's hard but try not to stress. I made my self a complete basket case. The scope is a breeze and you will feel so much better with defiant answers. Good luck and update us. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline initid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 04:58:46 PM »
Thanks, Lindsay, what you said means a lot to me! Very encouraging experience of yours, I am glad that your colonoscopy result is good, I certainly hope mine will be good too. Although I am still worried, I try to keep myself busy. I tried not to think of too many what ifs, it's hard but I know I have to ...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 10:23:42 PM »
Best of luck tomorrow and update us. How is prep going for you?
Bookmark and Share

Offline initid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 01:00:05 AM »
I cannot thank you enough for your support, Linsday. I went for the procedure this morning. The result is very good, just the internal hemorrhoid. The doctor was very professional, nurses were very nice. Of course nothing beats the result. I am now happy, and relaxed.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: colon