Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Constant song stuck in my head preventing me from sleep for the past couple week  (Read 276 times)

Offline frozenfire23

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi everyone,

I've had issues sleeping often in the past, but nothing really like this. Since last Saturday, I've barely been able to get any sleep (and also have had a throat infection that I took antibiotics for). I'd get into bed at 10-11pm and would have to take valerian, sleep aid...etc to help me try to sleep. I wouldn't get to sleep, if at all until around 3 or 4 am and wake up at around 6. It's been god awful. In the past, I've been prescribed lexapro (up to 20 mg) for anxiety, and also clonozapam and xanax at various times that I've had issues in my life. I haven't been on any of those medications in about a year. This time around, I feel my insomnia is the worst it's ever been. I've been taking valerian root since about september and for the most part it helped me fall asleep until about a month ago. Since last Saturday, even taking valerian I just cannot fall asleep. I could go 1-2 days without sleeping and I still don't even feel tired for some reason. That has never happened to me before. Usually, I'd miss a night of sleep and crash the next day, but not now.

I have a weird issue where a song would be stuck in my head preventing me from sleep over and over annoying me. I just cannot relax and get it out of my head. I don't know if this is the actual issue preventing me from sleep or it just manifested into that and it's actually a physical issue. I did go to the dr for my throat infection but they wouldn't prescribe me anything to help me sleep. Last night I got into bed around 11 pm and wound up tossing and turning for hours and taking 3 valerian root capsules which did absolutely nothing. I then decided to take .25 mg of xanax that I was prescribed about a year and it's expired for a month. It relaxed me a bit but the song would keep playing in my head and I couldn't sleep. I then decided to take .25 more. Eventually I slept for about 2 hours probably. It's getting to the point where this is taking over my life and I feel on most days I won't sleep at all even if I take something.

I'm aware the valerian just doesn't work for me anymore, because it used to relax me enough to fall asleep. I think just the combination of whatever infection I have with the obsessive thoughts is preventing me from getting any sleep whatsoever and I am scared I won't sleep. I have an appointment with a psychiatrist next thursday but I'm going away this weekened with my girlfriend and afraid that I just won't sleep at all. It's really getting to me. Does anyone have any suggestions of other herbal medicines or something over the counter I can take or any methods to help with this problem until I see a doctor next week.

Any help would be appreciated. Hopefully someone else has had the problem of having a song stuck in their head over and over preventing sleep.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Myocdragon

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Well fortunately sleep isn't that important.
Kidding. I have bad sleep problems as well. I fall asleep okay, but I wake up so often it's more like I'm not getting any sleep.
I got pretty hooked on ambien for awhile. Nothing too serious. But my pdoc took me off that (he never put me on it, he hates it) and he switched me to trazodone. It has really helped me sleep. I know, I sound like I'm pushing, and there will be a lot of alternated opinions, but try it.
Bookmark and Share
I'm not crazy, I've just lost my mind

Offline bluerose

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I go through periods where I sleep fine and then for no apparent reason I'll go through a period where I only get 2 to 5 hours of sleep a night and this even being on more than one psych med.  What I found helps is to get up and watch some TV, read, get on the computer until I feel sleep instead of tossing and turning in bed.  Sometimes I'm able to do this "split shift" sleep.  Also sometimes I'm able to take a nap in the recliner for a few hours in the afternoon.  I can relate to what you're going through even though I don't have a song stuck in my head I have OCD, anxiety and depression.
Bookmark and Share
You wanted justice, but there was none, only love.

Offline Myocdragon

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
To hop on to what bluerose said. There's a few things my pdoc told me about sleep that have been helpful.
The first thing was that if you aren't asleep within a half hour, get up and go read a non engaging book or magazine. I chose People, skipping any true crime stories they run. He said tv might be okay, but not for me right now. But he made the point that I shouldn't do this for more than 20 minutes before trying to go back to bed. He even told me not to do it until I'm sleepy. Idk why. These same rules apply if you wake up in the middle of the night, btw.

No chores or work or stress talk an hour before bed. I love this rule. My wife has a habit of waiting till we're in bed to discuss financial matters, or any other stresses she's having.

I also practice The Alexander Technique enforce bed. It takes fifteen minutes and all you have to do is lie on the floor with some books under your head for support. That's not all you have to do really, but that's the basic description and if someone saw you, that's all it would look like you're doing. It's a great technique for releasing tension and settling your mind. I highly recommend it. Here's the main site to learn about it and find a teacher.

http://www.amsatonline.org

Good luck
Bookmark and Share
I'm not crazy, I've just lost my mind

Tags: