Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can anxiety last for days?  (Read 226 times)

Offline famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Can anxiety last for days?
« on: May 23, 2014, 09:01:32 AM »
I had a really bad anxiety episode on Wednesday night.  Really bad.  The worst I've had in many, many years. 

Yesterday was better but I still thought about how I was feeling and felt jittery and off during the day.  This morning I woke up feeling fine until I started to get my kids up for school and get the day going.  At that point, I started to think about how I felt and started to feel anxious and uptight.  I've stopped caffeine since Wednesday, too.

I haven't been Googling but have been doing some reading on anxiety and how when you feel anxious it's adrenaline rushing through your body. 

Could I still be having anxiety issues since Wednesday? 
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline snew13

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can anxiety last for days?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 10:09:07 AM »
famv5, yes there are days when my anxiety goes rampant for days on end. This week, I've felt like my heart is going to explode, my hands have been tingling, and I'm unable to sit still for anything. I even exercised vigorously this week, used Xanax and Metoprolol (a beta blocker) and STILL I can't calm down. Most anxiety is all subconscious so it takes some DEEP digging to figure out what it is that's bothering you. Sometimes your mind can relax itself for a few days and then start up again. I am a music teacher and have had a lot of performances and such lately so that's probably why I'm having these issues. It's been hard to let my health worries go (what it the hands tingling is a neurological disorder?; what if I have cancer?; what if my heart gives out?; etc. etc.)
Bookmark and Share

Offline jilllayy

Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 10:22:27 AM »
I have been experiencing an internal jittery tremor feeling for a week now even though im not necessarily feeling anxious! my dr tells me this is just anxiety manifesting itself in a different way. after tons of testing im trying to just accept it and trust my drs!

i hope you start feeling better soon!

-jill
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 10:35:09 AM »
Thank you. 

It is such a horrible feeling.  It's almost like I'm going 1,000 miles an hour inside but on the outside I'm dragging along.  I try to describe how I feel to my husband but I just don't think anyone can understand unless they've experienced it. 

I hate when someone says "it's all in your mind".  Maybe it is, but the feeling is real. 
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline richdelb

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 11:00:19 AM »
Another thing to consider.... If you were drinking a lot of coffee (or caffeine containing drinks) and then stopped cold turkey that in itself could be feeding the anxiety.  I'd totally stick with it and try to push through any caffeine withdrawals you might be having.  It really does help tone down the anxiety to avoid caffeine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jilllayy

Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 12:20:32 PM »
famv!

nothing annoys me more than people telling me it is all in my mind. yes maybe it doesnt mean something is seriously wrong, BUT! these things are really happening to us and it real to us! And my husband is the same way! he just doesnt understand, but he did have a health scare not that long ago and when he feels just a little anxious (nothing compared to us) i always try to make him feel better and calm him down, which he just shrugs me off!  :( men! lol
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 12:38:22 PM »
Thanks....I didn't even consider that.

Actually, I'm not really a big caffeine consumer.  I usually have about 1/2 cup of coffee in the mornings, if that and I don't drink soda.  I do, however, take Excedrin Migraine which contains caffeine a couple of times each week.  Maybe that still is a low amount but who knows.

I still don't understand how I can feel somewhat calm sitting down but as soon as I get up and walk around my heart starts racing and I feel like I need to walk slowly.  I hate this feeling.  I really hope this is just anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 04:59:12 PM »
You would be surprised with how severe anxiety can be. Over this past year, I don't think I have ever felt as bas as I have done. And it is all down to anxiety. I can literally manifest problems out of nowhere; to the point where I think I am either going to drive myself mental or will end up dyeing.

I am actually surprised with your question. Because I would say my anxiety has lasted for a year (my health anxiety). And I have had social anxiety since I was about 14-15 (I will be 22 in July). I literally have anxious thoughts and anxiety symptoms everyday. I would say you have had anxious episodes for longer than you think; it just may be that you never had focused on your anxiety as much as you are now. It could be that you controlled your anxiety before and never let it come to your mind.

Anxiety can last for years. It does for a lot of people. And it is almost always more severe than what people think.

Not only that, but you are getting yourself into the vicious circle of becoming anxious about being anxious. When you get anxious, you worry about itů "why am I anxious", "I have no reason to be anxious" - and this makes your anxiety worse - so now you become anxious even more.

We have all been there many times. When you start to believe that it is anxiety, the symptoms will usually come and go (but never completely disappear). And you are able to control it to the point where it barely comes to mind when you are anxious; you just let it past.
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 05:06:30 PM »
Venomsoar, I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "becoming anxious about being anxious".  That is completely where I am right now.  When I go to bed at night, I feel the best.  When I wake up, I feel good, too, until my mind starts thinking.  I start to think about how I feel and wonder if I'll start to have the anxious feelings that day.  I think that starts to bring it on.  It is a vicious circle. 

I, too, have social anxiety.  I'm a shy person to begin with and never have felt comfortable around people I don't know.  So, just going out to the store brings on a sense of anxiety to me but it has never been like how I feel right now.  I think, like you mentioned, I'm just really focusing on it right now so everything seems to be amplified whereas normally it was there but I didn't really notice it. 

I certainly can't wait for this to pass or quiet down to where I can feel normal again. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 05:23:47 PM »
The key is not to let it pressure you too much. Right when you said, "I certainly can't wait for this to pass or quiet down", I worried a little that you may get pressured if you find that your anxiety is not quieting down - which in return may make you worse in the future. I believe the key is to not even worry about anxiety. In some sense, I think having a mind set of seeing anxiety as a normal everyday thing can help (at least with me). Of course, anxiety and how to deal with it is different for each person.

Anxiety cannot go completely - only controlled. Imagine if you had to speak in front of an audience, naturally, you will get anxious. Most people do - even if they are confident and extroverted people; they still will get a little anxious. However, a lot of people learn to control it and deliver a great speech despite the anxiety. It is the same here; despite having anxiety, you can still learn to control it and live a happy life without letting it take over.

I hope you can get some reassurance from our dialogue. I wish you the best!

Bookmark and Share

Tags: