Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How do you relax when you know you are going to get dementia?  (Read 304 times)

Online Aussiejim

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi All,

I'm 38 and suffered from health anxiety all my life. My mother taught me it. If I had a lump as a child I'd be rushed off to check if it was cancer. To cut a long story short I don't remember a day in 38 years where I felt relaxed fully unless drunk. I've stressed hard and googled 24 hours a day for the last 6 years.
     Anyway I feel it's damaged my brain. I blink constantly, I get brain snaps all day and they are getting more frequent. Feels like somebody has turned out the power then a limb jerks unintentionally. I also have a dream disorder. Where I scream out and punch in my sleep. I have really hurt my nose last week from hitting myself there in a bad dream. I am not sure but I feel that I have acted a few dreams out. Like I've dreamt I was punching and woke myself up with a punch. If I google this there is only one possibility rem sleep behaviour disorder. They also say this condition proceeds Parkinson's disease or Lewy body dementia by 5 - 30 years but 80 percent of people with sleep disorder like this will go on to get it. To add the last piece of fuel to the fire my mother was put into care as a 69 year old with Lewy body dementia and this has made me flip. Maybe hereditary ?
I can't function I am that scarce. I don't want to end up like mum. I have already stressed myself stupid over the last 10 years and memory is gone adding to my fears. Anxiety causes brain inflammation my doctor says if long term and uncontrolled and brain inflammation causes dementia they are now believing. Im a mess from google.

Please help.

Jimmy
Bookmark and Share

Offline ehboys

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How do you relax when you know you are going to get dementia?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 01:44:32 AM »
Jimmy, stay off of Google. I suffer from health anxiety too and you are trying to anticipate something that is far too complex for you to understand. You're seeking answers from Google by simply matching symptoms. Google is unfortunately a way for us to seek out reassurance for feeling a certain or we use it as a tool to help us understand. But unless you are a medical doctor, then you aren't qualified to make this sort of assessment.

I too suffer from the same symptoms as you. I blink a lot. I'm all wound up. I have electric jolts and jerky limbs. Your nervous system is functioning on overdrive.

Have you tried mediation? It is helping me but I still struggle with health anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ehboys

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 01:45:03 AM »
I'm sorry but I don't think you can certainly say you are going to get dementia.
Bookmark and Share

Online Aussiejim

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 06:44:46 AM »
Yes ehboys I have tried meditation it actually helped for a while and I seemed to have less sleep disturbance but then I had a run of them even with meditation and I was back to full on anxiety again.

Jim
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 07:58:17 AM »
Now I meditate twice a day (or more sometimes). The sessions can vary and results may be uneven. Never mind. It is my unwavering path to all manner of healing, including the old brain.

Dementia is in my family (or was, they are all gone). When I breathe in I send that fresh oxygen up there telling the brain to be strong and if at all possible, to grow new brain cells. It sure would be nice to find a cure for this dreaded, horrible development. We can dream can't we? Please be patient, try not to give up. Keep us posted.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 09:19:58 AM »
Well if you think you might get dementia, then you don't currently have it and have nothing worry about. If you do eventually get it, the dementia will make sure you don't realize it, and you'll have nothing to worry about.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bodhi

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 03:42:08 PM »
You relax by doing the things that people on this forum do which successfully manages anxiety. Read the personal success stories section on this site you will see:

TEA Forms (Thinking Error Analysis) read here. People who do these daily report to dramatically decrease worry and anxiety. It really works for me. If you do the forms you will see that everything you posted falls under classic thinking errors.

Meditation and deep breathing

Walking, stretching and other exercise.

Learn and practice a belief system: Buddhism, Christianity, etc.

CBT therapy

ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) - I use this and it really helps.

Medication and /or herbs/teas - I take Holy Basil

If you do nothing and just keep Googling you will continue to suffer needlessly. Notice that you have been Googling for 10 years and yet you are still fine, except for some basic classic anxiety symptoms. So you need to put in some effort to straighten out your thinking and body chemistry.

I hope that helps and that you get some relief : )

Bookmark and Share
Buddhism 5 Minute Introduction: http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/5minbud.htm

Online Aussiejim

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 05:30:57 AM »
Thanks for the kind replys

Anxiety is a killer. It's taken so much from me already.

Jim
Bookmark and Share

Offline thependragon81

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 06:31:47 AM »
Hi Aussiejim,

I think the worst thing to do is to try and self diagnose using the internet. I am in my thirties and have had sleep disturbances, muscle spasms and other symptoms which meant my doctor considered that I might have Parkinson's but he said the chances were still extremely remote and that my symptoms could be a sign of many different things and quite possibly anxiety and stress. As soon as I accepted that I didn't have the condition the symptoms started to disappear. I should also add my great uncle told me he believed he had dementia aged 60 because his memory was bad and there was a family history. He's now 85, is relatively health in both mind and body and wishes he hadn't wasted so much time worrying.

All the best, I really hope you can find a way to block out your concerns!
Bookmark and Share

Online Aussiejim

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 07:40:55 PM »
Hi Aussiejim,

I think the worst thing to do is to try and self diagnose using the internet. I am in my thirties and have had sleep disturbances, muscle spasms and other symptoms which meant my doctor considered that I might have Parkinson's but he said the chances were still extremely remote and that my symptoms could be a sign of many different things and quite possibly anxiety and stress. As soon as I accepted that I didn't have the condition the symptoms started to disappear. I should also add my great uncle told me he believed he had dementia aged 60 because his memory was bad and there was a family history. He's now 85, is relatively health in both mind and body and wishes he hadn't wasted so much time worrying.

All the best, I really hope you can find a way to block out your concerns!

Thanks so much
Really that is a very helpful post. It really does help to hear that.

Jim
Bookmark and Share

Tags: