Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety Used As A Weapon  (Read 154 times)

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety Used As A Weapon
« on: May 22, 2014, 04:12:09 PM »
Today I was talking to someone....trying to give them a pep-talk, because frankly they were being a little too negative---well, the person took my pep-talk as a personal attack, and then proceeded to say back at me, "excuse me! aren't you a nervous Nellie?  Don't YOU have an anxiety problem??"  Which I took a big offense to----firstly, because I was trying to help the person, and second having anxiety is in a totally different category than just being a negative person.

So, I summarized it as the person must have thought I was telling them they were weak----and they also made the assumption (as a lot of people do) that anxiety is a personal weakness.  In other words, they were giving me tit for tat-----and I found it extremely hurtful.

I never asked to have anxiety, I cannot control it either....so it was wrong to use it against me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety Used As A Weapon
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 04:32:41 PM »
None of us asked for anxiety disorders. I think that is why we tell as few people as possible about our disorders. You had it thrown back at you. The people I tell are only those I fully trust. I guess the person you were trying to help didn't like to hear the truth about them been negative. I wonder if anybody else had of said it to them would they have taken the same offence? As in they knew you had an anxiety disorder so decided to say ' who is she to preach to me '. Took it all the wrong way. I think if I was doing similar with a person who knew about my disorder I would say I was speaking from experience. That way there is nothing to throw back in our faces. As we are opening with the fact that we know we suffer from what we do, so we are just speaking based on our own experiences. Try put it behind you. I think you know what it can do if you continue to carry it with you.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Raichoo

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 04:48:25 PM »
I understand this. I seem to find that those who do not have anxiety disorders always view those who do have them as weak or stupid or inferior. While it is better than it was, you just gotta remember that a lot of people still have issues with accepting mental illness as legitimate illness. After all, mental illness is not like a physical illness, where a lot of the time you can see the affliction. Mental illness manifests its own physical symptoms but the kind they manifest are not like a stuffy nose. They're more connected to our feelings mood and such, which people always assume are in our control and not that physical (when this is not the case obviously).

Just remember that a lot of people are like that and that you didn't do anything wrong. They simply don't understand.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 05:33:22 PM »
Thank You both for Your replies :)  I am very careful about who I tell about my struggles....won't even tell my mother in law actually, because I know she would be the first in line to use it against me.  I really didn't expect it from the person who did it, but maybe they were having a bad day---not that that is an excuse. 

Anxiety is a hard thing to deal with, and having it thrown in my face the way it was made me feel 'less than' for a minute-----I honestly felt as though I was a weakling.  Don't get me wrong, I came to my senses shortly after feeling weak, and realized how much strength it takes to live with such a disorder---so in actuality I am (as well as anyone else with anxiety) far from weak.

I saw a good quote the other day, it said, "The way others treat you is a good reflection of who they are".  So, I guess I'll just let it roll off my back this time, by knowing that person has issues of their own.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: