Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can people please advise or respond  (Read 181 times)

Offline Jonnysmith

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Can people please advise or respond
« on: May 22, 2014, 03:41:23 PM »
This is extremely hard for me to explain but I think I am turning schizophrenic, I have had a hard time with anxiety over the past few months on and off mainly due to a phobia I have over epilepsy constantly in my thoughts the reason I wanna message today though is I have completely lost touch with reality, nothing feels real at all I feel like my body is alive but my mind has gone. The last few days I have questioned whether i am alive and even little things like walking around shops feel surreal as if this isn't life and I feel dead. I don't get a lot of sleep and taking beta blockers which aren't doing much for me but so scared that these irrational thoughts/feelings will either be stuck forever like this or will get worse. Is their any pills or therapy or anything people could advise what is going on?
Bookmark and Share

Offline amyjeannie

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can people please advise or respond
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 03:55:35 PM »
I would definitely consider therapy. It sounds like the best choice. Have you gone to a doctor at all or are you just trying to do this on your own? Also, do  you ever hang around people? I know that sometimes if people just keep to themselves it can seem like their disconnected from reality.
Bookmark and Share
Philippians 4:4-9

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 03:56:08 PM »
Hi Jonny...

The fact that you wrote such a clear post, is an indication to me that you are not becoming schizophrenic.  Also, all the symptoms you have described certainly fall under the order of an anxiety disorder.

Beta blockers are good for blood pressure regulation, and they can help some with anxiety disorders such as social anxiety (such as stage fright experienced by actors and musicians), but they all not effective for more severe forms of anxiety.

I will share with you what I do, Jonny.  I see a psychiatrist, and she is in charge of my metal health (not my regular doctor).  She has diagnosed me, provided me with a treatment plan, and also has me on an SSRI anti-depressant.  I also see a psychologist for my therapy, and she is teaching me cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).  6-8 months ago I was a total anxiety wreck, and experiencing all the symptoms that you mentioned.  Today, I am 90-95% better, and I hope to get back to 100%

Hang in there, Jonny, and I highly suggest you get all the professional help you can, as there is light at the end of that tunnel.

The very best to you, Jonny!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jonnysmith

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 04:03:40 PM »
Thank you very much for your responses my worry is just these irrational thoughts that it does t feel like life and I feel like I am dead, is their any medication that can completely change your thought process that it blocks these strange thoughts or feelings of not being alive? Is citalopram any good for this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Global Moderator
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 07:41:20 PM »
Hey Jonny...

It just so happens that the anti-depressant that my psychiatrist started me on some six months ago, is Citalopram (Celexa).  I am on 20 mg, which is the lowest therapeutic dose, and that is working very well for me.

If you are placed on Citalopram, or any anti-depressant for that matter, make sure you start out at a low dose, and slowly increase it.  This helps to ease side effects of the medication.  To give you an example, if you are prescribed Citalopram, start out at 5 or 10 mg (but not more than 10), and increase it by 5 or 10 mg ever 7-10 days.  The dose range for Citalopram is a minimum of 20 mg (the lowest therapeutic dose), to a maximum of 40 mg.

Jonny, I was having problems with bad thoughts, was having anxiety 24/7 with some panic attacks, and there was a little depression there too.  After about 3 weeks of being on 20 mg, I really noticed a decrease in my bad thoughts and the depression.  Also the panic attacks had really dropped off, and the ones I did have were no longer severe.  For me the anxiety lasted the longest, but that really started falling off at about 10 weeks into the therapy.

I hope this information helps.

As always, the very best to you, Jonny!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 07:45:48 PM »
I take 10mg celexa every day and have for months. My doctor said she would bump the dosage shortly. I've never heard the 20-40mg thing as I've heard people taking less and more..
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Global Moderator
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 09:17:24 PM »
Hi NK...

20 mg is considered the lowest therapeutic dose for Citalopram/Celexa, regardless of a person's size/weight.

It use to be that 60 mg was the maximum dose, but there was evidence that this was producing some individuals to have a specific heart dysrhythmia.  Further studies indicated that 60 mg of Citalopram, was no more effective than 40 mg, so the maximum dose was lowered to 40 mg.  For individuals age 60 and over, 20 mg is the max.

The very best to you, NK!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jonnysmith

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 06:27:13 AM »

Thank you for such great advice esp mobilechucko  it is much appreciated, my problem seems something that it is so unexplainable that I am really scared that even with meds and cbt therapy it wont work, I feel like I am not alive and its like I have to learn how to live again even simple tasks I question what it is like even things like eating I have to ask myself how I do this or look at myself and think I dont feel real. This is the strangest feeling I have ever felt in my whole life and I need to get all these irrational thoughts out of my head and try and do normal and act normal as I did before. This all  started with a build up of fear of getting frequent deja vu feelings and fear over epilepsy. How can I get back to normailty again because I dont want to be alive anymore living like this?

I am so scared can meds or therapy really overcome this irrational thinking though and block these weird thoughts?
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Global Moderator
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 11:49:18 AM »
Hey Jonny...

I am 61 years old, and if I can turn my life around in six months, back to normalcy, you can too.

Just keep telling yourself that the symptoms that you are experiencing are only anxiety.  "Accept" them, and know that they cannot hurt you.  Do everything you can to maintain a positive outlook, as that goes such a long way towards recovery.  And distract yourself, turning your mind back to normal tasks and pleasures we find in each day.

The Anxiety Zone site has helped me so much.  Use it, Jonny.  You are not alone, as million have come before you with the same issues.

And don't be afraid to seek-out professional help from a psychiatrist, psychologist, and/or doctors.

As always, the very best to you, Jonny!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: