Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: scared of lymphoma  (Read 137 times)

Offline broker556

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
scared of lymphoma
« on: May 22, 2014, 02:05:40 PM »
about a month ago i woke up to a really nasty ingrown hair on my jaw line that grew to the size of a quarter.  fast forward a week later and i notice a swollen lymph node on the left side of my neck.  went to dr google and lymphoma came up.  that scared the hell out of me.  anyway i went to my dr and she said it probably has to do with the ingrown and send me to a dermatologist.  dermatologist confirmed it was a swollen lymph node gave me some topical antibiotic and some shampoo.  told me if it was not gone in 2 months he would send me upstairs to ENT and do a biopsy.  Holy GOD that freaked me out and sent me downhill.  luckily for me my wife works for a very well know family that donates a lot of money to a private university.  was able to get an appointment with Professor of Surgery/Director, head and neck program.  Saw her and she said she was 99.999999999% sure it was not lymphoma and she attributes the swollen node to the ingrown hair.  she told me that if I couldnt stop thinking about this to come back in a month and get a ultrasound guided needle biopsy.  fast forward 2 weeks and the node is still there :(  the ingrown is about 95% better but the node is still there.  not sure if its smaller or if its bigger.  i been poking at it and squeezing it for about a month.  she said it was shaped like a bean and about 1cm and movable.  I am totally confused and worried about this entire thing. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline AthenaNY

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: scared of lymphoma
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 05:00:58 PM »
First of all, I'm sorry you are dealing with this.  Lymphoma fears are a huge pain in the a$$... it is probably my biggest fear, but it comes and goes.

About a month or so ago, I had a swollen lymph node near my groin for literally no reason.  I was not sick, had no injuries or infections.  I was pretty much ready to write my will.  Then two weeks later, it started to go down a bit.  A week after that, it was completely gone.  They act up for the slightest reasons, or no reason at all that we can see!  DON'T TOUCH IT though!  The more you touch it, the longer it will take to go down and it will be a vicious cycle.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 05:23:09 PM »
If it's movable and not getting bigger, I don't think you need to worry....

Also, stop poking at it and messing with it, otherwise it'll have a harder time going down.
Bookmark and Share
Generally afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Offline broker556

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 07:17:26 PM »
Thanks for all the support.  This lymph node is driving me nuts!  You can only feel it when I raise my head all the way back or when I turn my head the opposite side it rests on that vertical muscle.  I'm so annoyed and scarred and worried.  So worried it's lymphoma
Bookmark and Share

Offline broker556

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 11:21:41 AM »
woke up this morning and it seems like the lymph node is getting smaller, but really not sure.  I can see it and feel it more when i turn my head all the way to the right and it rests on the vertical muscle.  seems like its smaller this morning.  Had another hard night.  barely slept :( and at work now. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: