Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Planning on seeing a doctor  (Read 192 times)

Offline WhatsUp204

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
Planning on seeing a doctor
« on: May 21, 2014, 07:52:33 PM »
I smoked weed for 6 years and one time I smoked too much and had a panic attack about having a heart attack, to put it simply. eventually I would have a panic attack like that every time I smoked a lot, and maybe 3 months ago I started to get the same feeling every single time I smoked it, so I quit. At this point of my life, the only time I'd have these attacks was when I was high on weed.

Quitting seemed to help until one night when I was trying to fall asleep. (When I used to smoke weed I could never do it too close to bed time or else when I would lay there motionless, I would feel my heart beat and it would feel like my heart would skip a beat or suddenly change speed, this feeling would make me jolt and my adrenaline would run through me. I would fall asleep eventually though.)

Anyways, one night while I was sober, I kept getting that same feeling when I was trying to fall asleep except over and over again, and worse. It wouldn't stop until 11am when I drank 2 beers, then I finally fell asleep. (I was not drinking every night at the time)

Ever since that night it has been happening every night and it seemed to be getting worse (the weird heart feeling while trying to fall asleep). I can't lay on my left side because I feel my heart too much and it scares me because I'm worried I'll feel it skip a beat or something. I can't have anything (particularly hands) touch the left side of my chest. Often, my shirt will feel too tight and give me the same sensation, and seat belts too.

About 2 months ago I started drinking every night because that's the only thing that would get me to fall asleep 'normally'.
Now just this morning I became committed to seeing my family doctor, so she can do a check up on me and my heart and prescribe me something for this anxious insomnia, because I understand how bad alcohol is and I don't want to become an alcoholic.

Around 2 weeks ago, I woke up in the morning and I felt this sensation in my chest I've never felt before, a sort of pressure. I freaked out, I was shaking, I was anxious and it felt like nothing would make it go away, I thought I might die, I was considering going to the ER but I thought by time I got there it would be too late. Finally I tried sitting down in the shower and calming down by reading the back of a shampoo bottle, I was relieved when that feeling finally went 'away'.

I now believe that was a panic attack..

Just a few days ago I was at work and almost the same feeling happened. It was exactly the same except for the chest pressure. This time I was dizzy and twitching, it felt like I was going to pass out. This time, it sorta lingered for the rest of the day until I drank some alcohol. I believe this was another panic attack.

For the last couple of days I've had slight anxiety for most of the day.

Now I want to make an appointed to see my doctor about this but I'm very nervous to even make the appointment. Even more nervous to describe these symptoms to her. I'm 18 years old
Bookmark and Share

Offline WhatsUp204

Okay
    • Poke This Member
Re: Planning on seeing a doctor
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 04:35:08 PM »
What do you guys think my doctor will say or do when I tell her this stuff?
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 06:22:15 AM »
If you are honest about her with your use of weed and drinking, she will probably tell you to stop using weed.  She will also tell you that drinking, while making you sleep initially, also disrupts your sleep making it hard to stay asleep so she will probably tell you to stop drinking as well.  An in office EKG to do a quick check of your heart and maybe some anxiety meds.

Thats just my guess.  Remember, if youre not honest with your doc then your doc can't help you
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 08:35:45 AM »
It is a good idea to see your doctor. When I was a young man many years ago, I also smoked
pot and hashish, so I can't be critical of anyone. If it was up to me they should legalize pot,
gambling and prostitution, so it would be regulated, a tax revenue income stream and would cut
back on the underground economy.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline famv5

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 08:57:35 AM »
I agree.  Be honest with your doctor and tell them everything. 

I'm dealing with heart palpitations and anxiety right now, too, and it's not fun.  I went to see a cardiologist this week and he said I have what is called PVC's which gives that skipped beat feeling.  It's very common and nothing to worry about.

I think you're doing the right thing by seeing your doctor.  I'm sure you'll feel better after talking with him/her and finding some answers. 
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 02:54:13 AM »
While I agree pot should be legal, I also agree you should quit - that can make anxiety horrible in some people.  Alcohol as well isn't doing you any favors.  I would recommend stopping use of them both and seeing if there's any improvement.  A doctor will likely tell you that you're having anxiety attacks - what you describe is classic.
Bookmark and Share

Offline WhatsUp204

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 03:01:25 PM »
Guys, I already quit weed, it says so right in the first paragraph  :dazed:

So last night I went to the ER and after over 12 hours of waiting they tested my heart for everything.. Everything was perfect! So they're giving me a heart rate monitor to wear at night to pick up the palpitations so they know what that ***** is, but they said in my case there's no chance of it being life threatening.

I was paranoid as ***** in the waiting room though.

Also, he prescribed me lorazepam
Bookmark and Share

Tags: