Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Lymphoma or just anxiety?  (Read 269 times)

Offline mikran

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Lymphoma or just anxiety?
« on: May 21, 2014, 05:31:47 PM »
I've been doing rather well lately, but yesterday my newly awakened worries about melanoma went out of control to the point where I can barely look myself in the mirror since I'm obsessing over my moles.

So what has lymphoma to do with this? I haven't been overly concerned with lymphoma before, but yesterday while I was freaking out about melanoma I felt a small lump under my ear, with another one situated in the fold between the ear and the skull. So when I suddenly woke up in the middle of the night with my forhead, neck and chest covered in sweat I almost panicked.
I got up from bed to urinate, but on my way to the bathroom I felt dizzy and weak in my lower back and legs. It felt as if I weren't in control of my motions, and this added to my panic. Back in bed I had the feeling that I was about to suffer a fully fledge panic attack, but I did some breathing exercises to calm down and eventually I fell asleep clutched to my fiancee, only to wake up a couple of hours later with more sweat on my neck and forhead. I fell asleep again and woke up this morning without any more sweat.

Today there's a small blush on the skin below the ear where the first lump is. Could this be a swollen lymph node or just a pimple or inflamed follicle? What is a swollen lymph node supposed to feel like? I refuse to google in this state of mind. Although I'm trying to persuade myself that these symptoms could all be derived from anxiety, I can't shake off the thoughts of lymphoma or possibly melanoma. Also, would lymphoma show up on a CBC or reveal itself in other ways?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

• Rec's: 1
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lymphoma or just anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 06:52:57 PM »
The funny thing about HA is that just because we switch to a new fear, it doesn't make it any more true than the old fear.

It could be a swollen lymph node, lymph nodes swell all the time. I've been dealing with seasonal allergies and had a recent throat infection and I have still have some hard lymph nodes in my neck.

Flip flopping between diagnoses makes me think it's anxiety, 99.9% sure. I'm not a doctor though, go see one if you really feel you have to, but it's more than likely your anxiety.

And no, CBC is not a definite diagnosis of Lymphoma. You can have a normal CBC and have it, but you'd probably have various abnormalities on there if you did... there would be telltale signs and your lymph node would become huge, painless and immobile.

Don't let this fear consume you, it's not worth it.
Bookmark and Share
Generally afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Offline mikran

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lymphoma or just anxiety?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 02:23:17 PM »
Thanks for your reply. Today there's no swelling below the ear, just a small crust, so I suppose it's a pimple after all. Had no night sweat either.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: