Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Fat, Memory Loss, Panic Breakthrough, Brain Fog - Drugs are GREAT! NOT!  (Read 139 times)

Offline DeeRuss

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
20 years. That's how long I've been on a Benzodiazepine (1st Klonopin, now Diazepam (Valium). I've been on Zoloft for about 7 or 8 years.

I was 18 when I started so even though I've been decreasing the Diazepam gradually, I worry that my brain developed AROUND a benzo, and that it will never get back to normal without one.

I'll say this though, I've had some good results with Zoloft to certain situations where I'd have panic attacks. I notice I'm better in social settings and can go to the movies and theater and not have an attack. But I still CAN'T TRAVEL. Even if I'm drugged, I have problems sleeping overnight anywhere. The panic and insomnia and depersonalization break through. I mean, I can take 30 mgs of Valium and STILL not sleep and still have panicky symptoms.

The Zoloft/Diazepam combo makes me feel out of it, tired, depressed, sad, worried, weird, scared, foggy, stupid, forgetful, fat, bloated, unattractive (no libido here!) and the list goes on! As soon as I decreased both, I felt more ALIVE!!

What does this say about these drugs? They're addictive, lose their efficacy, are bad for your memory, your brain,  and your body (I've shot up about 50 pounds on Zoloft/Diazepam combo and it's been an intense struggle to get the weight off).

I'm trying more herbal remedies like Holy Basil (I'm a little concerned taking it on my medication so I'll let you know how that goes!), Acai Berry, and I've joined a great gym and workout almost everyday. There is no better "cure" for anxiety and depression than exercise. I've had to come to terms with that and truly make it a part of my everyday life. It I can do it, you can too. It's ESSENTIAL for people like us - we need blood flow for cognitive function and we certainly need the endorphins!! Keep moving and keep the faith. Maybe I'll see you at the gym! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I was in the best shape of my life when my panic started.  41 years old... Bench press 375, Squat 450.  Cardio great.  Did P90x daily.  All the sudden I had a panic attack and then every day after was panic.  I'm 9 months in and I'm better than I used to be and I'd hate to imagine life without the meds.  We're all different, but personally, I think pushing my body to the limits physically at my age caused this episode. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeeRuss

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
My trainer has told me that that is very common to have panic attacks when your heart rate is up and you're working out hard. He's had it happen to him many times so what you're describing is not at all unusual.

P90X is crazy though! Definitely not for everyone and yes! Pushing the limits is right! I don't think I could ever handle it. Maybe you just need to adjust your workout accordingly, and you won't experience those 'spikes' in heart rate and your anxiety will decrease. I think you'll get back into it. Stay positive!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: zoloft Diazepam Valium