Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Coping and Decision-Making Question  (Read 78 times)

Offline AcousticDad

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Coping and Decision-Making Question
« on: May 21, 2014, 12:06:59 PM »
Hi all,

Ever since my divorce back in 2005 (and even after I re-married) my anxiety has sort of forced me to cope in strange ways.  Just checking to see if this sounds like anyone else out there.

I used to not worry about writing down notes or important dates when I was in high school, college, and most of my first marriage.  Then, after I was divorced and had to re-organize my life, I found that one thing that kept my anxiety at bay was to make either a list or spreadsheet of all sorts of things: To Do's, My DVD or CD collection, comparing on paper big decisions for items over $100.  It felt like I was able to see the challenge and complete it easier or make decisions easier.

Lately (about the past year or so), my anxiety arises on much smaller things.  And I don't know how to make a list for that.  I have trouble deciding on a movie or if I should buy one item at the store or another.  I start to overthink things and I create a scenario where I doubt myself making any good decision. This eventually passes, but the issues it causes or lost time I experience for 1-3 hours really sucks.

Any thoughts or anyone relate to this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline BrookeAshley1

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • I may not know where I'm going but I'm on my way.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Coping and Decision-Making Question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 01:15:15 PM »
I can understand some of what you're going through. Especially the decision making issue. Lately, I've had a lot of trouble making decisions. I fear making the "wrong choice." I end up prolonging decisions and then somewhat talking myself out of them. I also relate to you writing things down. I feel like writing stuff down helps me but then doubt kinda creeps back in. I wish i could give you advice on how to handle it, but I'm still trying to figure it out myself. I think a lot has to do with self doubt and not trusting ourselves enough. I really think its a self esteem issue. I wish you the best!
Bookmark and Share
Giving up is always an option, but it is never my choice.

Tags: