Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: fear of rabies  (Read 253 times)

Offline mindhop

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
fear of rabies
« on: May 21, 2014, 02:27:31 AM »
Hi, i am new to this site and i am searching for anyone who has experience with fear of rabies in an exagerated sense, ie ocd type way. I found some old posts and wanted to contact a few people by PM but couldn't figure out how to do this!
I am keen to hear anyone elses story or anyone's advice on how to get this fear into perspective. I've had this fear bubbling for years and it prevented me from traveling to certain countries that i wanted to go to (Asia for example) and i always stayed away from animals i didn't knw, so basically this concerndid not impact on my life in a big way..Last year i decided to face my fear and went to Asia for a few weeks, ironically to relax, do yoga and rest!  To cut a long story short I ended up having a nervous breakdown and started imagining that i was going to get rabies from people who were harboring the virus via sneezing or saliva if small spit particles went into my eye when people were talking close to me. I returned home and began to rebuild myself but i am not back to how i was and am always on alert for saliva when around people and i tend to avoid people i know who have spent time in high risk countries. and i want to travel again (not to Asia!) but i can't seem to get a full perpective on this fear and i don't want to get so low again. I also don't want to not live my life in my little bubble of safety and thus miss out. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 163
    • Poke This Member
Re: fear of rabies
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 06:00:57 AM »
Just to explain. You can't PM another member until you have a certain amount of posts. Right now you only have 2 posts. Just make a few more posts and then you can begin to PM people. As for rabies. I seriously don't think you will find people walking around with it. Even in backward countries. The red cross and other such groups work in these countries and they would be looking out for such outbreaks. It is just your mind playing up big time. But I think deep down you know that too. When going to such countries always make sure you visit a doctor before you leave your own country. Are injections they can give you to keep you safe.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline mindhop

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 06:42:16 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I do know that 'normal' people don't obsess about rabies and indeed i never use to. I have huge amounts of understanding in regard to ocd but presently i guess i am trying to find some people who understand and who may have some advice relating to tackling this specific subject. When i had my last and severest ever panic attack which lasted for three weeks and brought me to a state where i just couldn't tell the difference between imagined fear and real threat. In the past with other fearsa part of me has been able to distinguish between real and imagined despite the 'feeling' of it being real being so overwhelming. This past scare has frozen me a bit with going back out into the big wide world so i guess i am looking for sone coping strategy which is not just relaxation techniques or valium as neither work in a time of extreme fear. Over the past 20 years i have had about  6 or 7 severe attacks and the rest of the anxiety is difficult but managable and was getting easier over time. This last episode made ne so stressed i was physically ill and i just want to gather some advice to manage better in the future. Medication in the past has not shifted stuck thoughts. Good diet, supplements, yoga and meditation all help me to feel pretty o.k most of the time but i feel there is still a piece of the puzzle missing!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cortez

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 02:57:10 PM »
Hello there. I just wanted to reply to your post and let you know that you're not alone. I have an overwhelming fear of rabies lately. It's ridiculous because I have had pets my whole life and I have never worried about it. I mean, I'm the girl who stops to play with stray kittens, or gets close enough to a stray dog to see if it's friendly, capture it and take it to the animal shelter. I have found, loved on, rescued and kissed so many animals that I don't know. Well, now that I am a lot older and my anxiety is the most severe that it has ever been, rabies (along with tons of other ailments) has become an irrational fear. A fee months ago I went to visit my cat that I left behind at my Dad's house when I got my own place. As I was calling my kitty, a kitty that I had never seen before came running to me for love and attention. I obliged, petting and doting on this lovely feline. This cat was obviously friendly, very clean, and very very fat. Seems he came from someone else's home cause he heard someone giving out love to kitties, and he sure did want some. I picked him up. Twice. He didn't seem to appreciate it and he wanted to jump out of my arms. I set him down and as he leapt he gave a small kick with his back legs that cause a small, single puncture to my wrist. I washed it right away with soap and water . Does that sound like a story you'd hear about someone contracting rabies? I FULL BLOWN LOST MY ***** in the days following this incident. I mean, full blown panic attacks, calling the ER, calling the CDC, calling animal control. I felt the symptoms of rabies way earlier than people who have actually had the disease report feeling them. Every little thing that felt different to me was because of rabies. It took months for the fear to subside. And about a week ago my Dad found a sweet kitten and as soon as I saw it I knew I had to help. It was crawling with fleas. I gave it a bath. While it was all soapy (dirty soap from this filthy kitty) it gave a little shake and the soapy water off it's body went right in my eye. Rabies!! But, really, this time isn't that bad. I did a lot of research and I now feel a lot better about knowing that rabies is super rare. To get it from a cat or dog, it has to be active in the animal, and you would know if the animal were rabid. People wouldn't really be able to walk around with the contagious form of it because, just like the animals, you would know something is very very wrong. I really hope that you feel better and don't let rabies keep you from living an exciting life, or traveling if that is something you want to do. Hope I helped, even a little.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: