Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Have you actually created symptoms from obsessing about a disease?  (Read 210 times)

Offline Kmj023

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
When I battled health anxiety at age 19 after my very first panic attack, I was convinced I had a heart problem. I would concentrate on my heart so much that if something didn't feel right I would get scared. I focused on it so much that my chest would feel tingly. I never knew that anxiety would do something like that.

And here I am at 36 battling HA again. Started off as the floor bouncing which triggered my anxiety and couldn't see dr right away so I turned to dr google who made me fear a lot of things and made me worse. And it was a sinus infection but was convinced I had a brain tumor cause of google. I focused on my head so much I would fe zaps and thought it was gonna be a seizure. Thought my face was gonna droop still working on this, and I was so convinced I had a bt that I was afraid to walk cause I thought it was ataxia and once I grabbed my phone and turned I turned on my camera and talked and realized that when I wasn't thinking about my walking and balance it was more normal than I thought despite the anxiety I have when I walk now. However I'm still nervous walking and being in bed two months makes it more tiring.

So I would like to hear what your fear was and if symptoms were created and how you overcame it.
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"

"Anxiety is not a doctor. Neither is the internet."

Actual diagnosis : chronic sinusitis.
Google diagnosis : brain cancer.

Symptoms : dizzy head feeling.

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Have you actually created symptoms from obsessing about a disease?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 10:40:54 PM »
Yes, I have done this. I have done it more than once, but maybe the worst time was when I was going through a breast cancer scare. The time from when I found a lump and when I got the results of the biopsy was about 5 weeks. At the height of my anxiety, I started developing pain in my ribs and skull. I think the skull was from clenching my teeth and holding my head so tensely. The rib pain was phantom pain, I believe, from imagining that I had cancer that had already metastasized. I remember listening to NPR one day, and the topic was disease, and every time the guests would say "disease" I would get a shot of pain in my bones. Couldn't be clearer that the pain was pure fiction triggered by fear of disease!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 10:55:02 PM »
Look into somatoform disorder. A lot of us suffer from this. We truly can create an innumerable amount of physical symptoms. When I think about headaches, I get them. If I think about sneezing or an itchy nose, within a few minutes I'll sneeze. I really could go on and on, and don't think just because the symptoms I used as examples are so general that they're the only ones you can "create". I've "created" an upset stomach, tingling and cold feet, itching, you name it.
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Offline Descent

• Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 11:06:27 PM »
Yes. When I was worried about lymphoma, I itched like crazy and woke up in a sweat some mornings.
Bookmark and Share
Generally afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 11:07:28 PM »
My friend mentioned today this really interesting phenomenon I believe called, 'phantom pregnancy'. It's similar to (or might be?) a somatoform disorder, however it highlights just how powerful the mind's influence can be physiologically.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Tags: