Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of making phone calls and checking voicemail  (Read 363 times)

Offline HalfMoonRun

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fear of making phone calls and checking voicemail
« on: May 20, 2014, 04:31:34 PM »
Anyone else have a crippling fear of making phone calls or listening to their voicemail? I am okay with calling close friends or family and listening to their voicemails, but every other call is AGONIZING for me. Even simple calls like asking how long a store is open or ordering food make my hands sweat and my heart beat like it's going to pop out of my chest. It takes me hours sometimes to make a simple call. Sometimes I don't make the call at all...especially if it's something that is going to require asking questions or talking a lot on my part. If I have to call in sick to work, it takes me so long that I have gotten in trouble for it. I have also not called at all and it has caused me to lose a job.

Voicemails are also hard for me. If I think the voicemail is something negative, I don't even listen to it at all. If it's from someone I don't know, I have to force myself to listen to it. Just today I got a call about an interview for a job, so that included both evils: listening to a voicemail AND making a return phone call. I swear I think my heart is going to burst one of these days.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of making phone calls and checking voicemail
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 06:08:38 PM »
I hate listening to voicemails my friend. You're not alone. No matter what they are, I hate seeing the voicemail symbol pop up... I hate listening to the full message. I usually have to go home and un-delete them and listen to them fully.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline Lolita Cruz

• Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 09:13:57 PM »
Oh my God, I can sooooo relate. Phone calls and voicemails scare me too. It can take me a good long while to make a call. Just working up the nerve to dial can take me thirty minutes to an hour. Often I'll type in the number multiple times, pressing 'end' each time without actually dialing the number. It took me like a week to listen to the last voicemail I got. These things could be so simple, yet they cause me so much trepidation. I hate it.
Bookmark and Share
Faith is taking the first step even when you can't see the whole staircase. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Mairi

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 06:43:27 PM »
I hate making phone calls or answering the phone, too. I just don't like it. I get shy and talking to people on the phone feels awkward.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Olathe

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 07:27:01 PM »
I am similar.  I have overcome most of my call-making fears, but I still find it hard to listen to voice mails, or check an Email that I think might be negative.  I normally make my husband do it with me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline superapple

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 09:57:17 AM »
I am also shy at making and answering phone calls, especially if it is someone that i don't know
Bookmark and Share
If I don't reply to your post send me a PM with the link to the post or send me the message :)

Tags: