Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Nervous about endocrinologist visit tomorrow  (Read 173 times)

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Nervous about endocrinologist visit tomorrow
« on: May 20, 2014, 03:51:19 PM »
I have a followup with the endocrinologist tomorrow for my thyroid nodules.  I'm nervous.  I'm worried that he missed cancer the other times and it's been growing for a year.  (I should've gone three months ago but had to cancel that appointment and just kept forgetting to reschedule.)  I feel a lump I don't remember feeling before, but I haven't really been checking my neck at all in the last nine months and I forget what everything felt like at the time.  I do still have hoarseness, which I know is a warning sign for thyroid cancer.  I'm just really nervous. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Nervous about endocrinologist visit tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 09:11:08 AM »
Visit went okay.  Had blood taken, have to get another ultrasound.  That seems to just be a standard thing since it's been a year since the things were found.  He doesn't seem worried, but of course I'm worried the ultrasounds will show something bad or the blood tests will reveal some other problem I didn't even know I had. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Eric68

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 09:22:00 AM »
I'm waiting on the results of the fine needle aspiration I had done on one of my thyroid nodules and it's driving me nuts.  It's been two weeks, today.  They said it could take that long, but my HA brain makes me think that automatically means something bad.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 09:51:49 AM »
Good luck!  I had one of those last year and got the results pretty fast, and on a Saturday.  Naturally, I panicked, but it came back benign.  A longer wait time usually means unimpressive results.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Eric68

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 11:52:53 AM »
Well, they told me that it would be quick unless it was sent for extra analysis  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline middlenamehypochondria

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 12:11:05 PM »
I went through all of the thyroid stuff a few years back.  I had the FNAB and the yearly ultrasounds.  I still panic everytime I go to the endorcrinologist and all they do is feel my neck and give me a yearly prescription for synthroid.  I too hate  having my thyroid blood test for fear something will come back.  Try not to worry!  A ton of people have this and don't think twice about it.  Wish we were like that!!! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Eric68

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 12:21:57 PM »
Well, the silver lining that I have just found for myself after doing some reading is that for lesions that can't be readily defined as benign or malignant (indeterminate) they now do genetic testing to determine if they are benign or not.  In the past indeterminate lesions were removed surgically either as a lobectomy or by removing the whole thyroid.  A large number of these lesions were later found to be benign.

They told me that they could possibly be sending it off for these tests and that that would take longer.  I saw this as a negative thing until now.  Now I realize the extra analysis could be helping me avoid unnecessary surgery.

So that's what I'm going with until I know different.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: