Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: celexa to zoloft  (Read 95 times)

Online forever young

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
celexa to zoloft
« on: May 20, 2014, 10:52:15 AM »
I have been on celexa 20mg since last July. I felt like it was helping a lot but still had some anxiety. my dr said to take 10 mg of celexa and 25 mg of Zoloft for one week. then drop the celexa and take 50 mg of Zoloft. I thought we would just switch the two. how much would the amount of Zoloft match the celexa. I felt it would be 100 mg. he said we needed to go slow I am afraid the 50 mg is not enough to control my anxiety. will my anxiety increase with the switch. I sure hope not. I don't like switching meds. I asked about Prozac as I had did well on it before. he said it is a very strong medication and with other medication could effect the liver. Ina is that true. I was told it was a real good medicine. I would have asked for it but the last time I took it I had severe insomnia but I had been on it and went off it. and was trying to get back on it. anyone do a switch like this and how did it work?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 87
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: celexa to zoloft
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 06:06:44 PM »
I have been on celexa 20mg since last July. I felt like it was helping a lot but still had some anxiety. I felt like it was helping a lot but still had some anxiety. my dr said to take 10 mg of celexa and 25 mg of Zoloft for one week.

Why not just up the Celexa dose? The maximum is 40mg.

I thought we would just switch the two. how much would the amount of Zoloft match the celexa. I felt it would be 100 mg. he said we needed to go slow I am afraid the 50 mg is not enough to control my anxiety.

There is too much variation in individual respone to different SSRIs to develop a precise equivalence formula, but the general rule of thumb is 20mg Celexa is about equal to 50mg Zoloft.

I asked about Prozac as I had did well on it before. he said it is a very strong medication and with other medication could effect the liver. Ina is that true.

It may be. It depends on which liver enzymes metabolize each of the meds you're taking. Not all the SSRIs are by the same one/s.

anyone do a switch like this and how did it work?

It is quite common for one SSRI to be switched to another. This can be done with a straight overnight switch, but your doctor is taking the more cautious approach and you can't fault him for that. Generally, these transitions go fairly smoothly.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Online forever young

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 07:18:11 PM »
I am afraid to go up on the celexa. I have ringing in my ears and headaches some. I also am older and worry about the heart thing. I don't like the ideal of taking two anti depressants together. I am weird about medication. I worry about everything. I am having more weird weak spells again and I am afraid to switch medication and afraid to stay on the celexa. I just want to get better and stop having these weak spells.  no dr knows what is causing them. I liked this pdr he was very knowledgble about the thing with the heart. he is wanting me to take klonopin also but I don't want to. I might as needed but I had rather get on an anti depressant that worked.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 87
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 08:37:40 PM »
I don't like the ideal of taking two anti depressants together...and I am afraid to switch medication and afraid to stay on the celexa

You're only taking low doses of each, half the maximum Celexa and only an eighth of the Zoloft maximum, so there is unlikely to be a significant problem, though there may be some side-effects for a few days as the brain and body adjust.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: