Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Just when I thought I was safe....(subungual melanoma???)  (Read 237 times)

Offline makeitcount

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Just when I thought I was safe....(subungual melanoma???)
« on: May 20, 2014, 10:37:37 AM »
Hi again, everyone...nearly 22 y/o Caucasian female here.

I had been doing so much better since I got benign biopsy results on two "suspicious" moles, around a week ago. My mom and sister also got good derm reports, and I finally felt like I could breathe again. But of course, stupid HA never gives me a break for long.

As I was removing my nail polish yesterday, I decided to put a new color on my toes too, just for the heck of it. I'm one of those people that pretty much leaves nail polish on all the time, so the last time my toes were unpainted was probably a month or more ago. It doesn't tend to chip, so I just leave it until it does. But, as I was taking off the red toenail polish,  I saw a brownish blackish dot right in the middle of my big toe. Cue HA induced panic attack. I read all about subungual melanoma during my scare but hadn't been at all concerned about it until that moment.

I imagine the spot has appeared in the last month or month and a half. It is very small, and if you look close there are two smaller dots right near it. I am pretty certain it is under the nail rather than on it (though I suppose it could be in the nail itself? discoloration due to too much polish??). I am also pretty certain I haven't done anything to that toe that would cause blood or bruising. My sister is currently on anti fungal meds for something on her toe that she didn't treat - got an okay result from the derm. She says that this doesn't look like her fungus did when it started, however.

I was finally starting to relax but now I'm FREAKING OUT again. I'm afraid to make another appointment because I'm afraid of what I'll be told, and I'm afraid of having my nail removed and waiting on more biopsy results.

Any words of encouragement? ): Really starting to become overwhelmed and upset.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Just when I thought I was safe....(subungual melanoma???)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 12:57:30 PM »
Probably a bit of nail damage from getting stepped on/walking into something.  Does it look like a little brown splinter?  I get those a lot, mostly on my fingers.
Bookmark and Share

Offline makeitcount

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 02:33:48 PM »
Hi mollyfin! Nope, not really splinter like. It is a brownish/blackish speck, with a couple other specks around it.  Almost looks like how mold grows. It doesn't come from the nail matrix or either fold which I've read is a good sign in terms of not being melanoma. It's almost in the dead center of the nail, closer to the free edge if anything. Also, the fact that it's more of a group of spots and not just one blob doesn't seem consistent with melanoma. But, everything I've been reading about fungal infections talks about white/yellow discoloration....not brown. Confusing and frustrating. I just wanted a break from worrying haha.

I wish I could remember doing something to cause a bit of bleeding/bruising but this toe has been pretty free of injury!
Bookmark and Share

Offline MrMoleHill

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • I look, therefore I find.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 02:51:12 PM »
Crazy, but I went through this subungual melanoma freakout, too, recently.  I found a spot on the toe next to the smallest one.  After looking at all the horrible google information, I sorted out that it's probably just a bruise. And based upon some of the things I do, it wouldn't surprise me.

After having a severely atypical mole excised, recently, I've obsessed over melanoma.
Bookmark and Share
We are all walking through the Valley of the Shadow of Death

Offline gypsymoon

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 05:01:31 PM »
I went through a scare about subungual melanoma under my toenail last summer.  I took off my nail polish and there was a dark purple spot right at the nail matrix of my pinky toenail.  I freaked out and went to a podiatrist, he said it looked like a bruise under my toenail.  I did not remember hitting it or anything, but that is exactly what it was and it eventually grew out.  Subungual melanoma would look like a black stripe all the way down the nail, starting from the nail bed, not a spot (I researched this when I was freaking out.)   It sounds like you have a bruise under your nail, or possibly toenail fungus.  It does not sound like melanoma at all!!!     :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kimdrah

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 05:59:15 PM »
I have a perfect grey line up in the middle of my big toe. All signs towards something sinister.  Well I went crazy on it an damn filed my nail all the way doen to the nail bed in that spot.  Went to the podiatrist and she stated that is was likely just pigment, but now since I had filed my nail to the white meat, lol. I will likely always have the spot. She did biopsy it and it was nothing.  Now I have a permanant line that still freaks me out sometimes even though I had a biopsy.  Sometimes we cause more damage.  .
Bookmark and Share
The Dalai Lama,was most surprised by Man.He sacrifices his health to make money. He sacrafices money for his health,he is so anxious about the future so he does not enjoy the present, he does not live in the present or the future,he thinks he will never die, then he dies having never lived.

Offline br350

• Rec's: 27
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 09:27:19 AM »
Makeitcount?  Did you figure out what it was - a bruise - did it grow out?
Bookmark and Share
"Worrying is like a rocking chair: It gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere."

Tags: