Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Could it be neuropathy  (Read 381 times)

Offline breakingbadhabits

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Could it be neuropathy
« on: May 20, 2014, 10:15:40 AM »
So in the recent months I have had issues with balance and positional awareness which was worsened by anxiety. Plus I have had a weird sensation of a cold water spraying my body or a cold burning sensation. As the weeks go by the symptoms lessen but never fully disappear. On top of that I have had recent headaches/ small migraines that annoy me along with tinnitus and eye floaters. could this be neuropathy? I have seen my GP, a neuro and was told they didn't know there was a slight chance neuropathy except my age would make it a odd diagnosis. could Anxiety cause neuropathy like symptoms?
Bookmark and Share

Offline doug65

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Could it be neuropathy
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 11:46:24 AM »
You bet it can.  Your muscles tighten up and you may not even know it.  I get the tingling and feeling off balance too. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 05:16:53 PM »
So in the recent months I have had issues with balance and positional awareness which was worsened by anxiety. Plus I have had a weird sensation of a cold water spraying my body or a cold burning sensation. As the weeks go by the symptoms lessen but never fully disappear. On top of that I have had recent headaches/ small migraines that annoy me along with tinnitus and eye floaters. could this be neuropathy? I have seen my GP, a neuro and was told they didn't know there was a slight chance neuropathy except my age would make it a odd diagnosis. could Anxiety cause neuropathy like symptoms?

YUP! Had all of those issues for months - esp feeling off balance. I felt like my foot was turned to the left when it was straight ahead.
Anxiety is a beast!!! The issues are finally starting to clear up- this is month 5.
Bookmark and Share

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 07:09:29 AM »
What scares me is a day after seeing a neurologist I am having painful aches in my fingers and toes
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 09:36:16 AM »
What scares me is a day after seeing a neurologist I am having painful aches in my fingers and toes

Isn't that something how that happens??  I keep getting chills/goosebumps sensation on my scalp.  Was only a little on one said or the other.  The next day after telling the doctor and him explaining what it was I started getting them ALL over my head twice as bad!  You'd think it would get better after being relieved!

My daughter has anxiety problems too and is trying to quit taking her Ativan.  The doctor put her on Buspar and is weaning her off the Ativan (I'm not sure I have this exactly right, but that's not the point) She was so upset about not being able to take the full dose of Ativan that last night she came into me and said, "Maybe I have Bell's Palsy!  My whole side of my face feels like it's crooked and drooping!"  She looked totally normal, I told her to smile, it was normal - I told her it's anxiety and how that many people on this board get weird face issues - that seemed to help her.  So yes, ANY kind of sensation like that can be caused by anxiety.  Along with my goosebump sensation I get this WEIRD, WEIRD feeling down both my legs when I scratch my stomach or upper thigh!  (not numbness, not tingling, not goosebumps, not buzzing...  there is NO way to describe it!)  I told the doctor that too.   You know what he said?  He smiled and said, "Don't scratch"   Jeez...  (but he calmed me down and I'm not freaking out over the issue anymore)
Bookmark and Share

Offline fhestia

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 12:29:05 PM »

Yep, I am convinced anxiety is the biggest troll in the world.  The day after I got the all-clear on a brain CT, I woke up with a horrible headache that had all the red flags for a brain tumor headache and it took two weeks to go away.  ::)
Bookmark and Share

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 03:14:27 PM »

Isn't that something how that happens??  I keep getting chills/goosebumps sensation on my scalp.  Was only a little on one said or the other.  The next day after telling the doctor and him explaining what it was I started getting them ALL over my head twice as bad!  You'd think it would get better after being relieved!

My daughter has anxiety problems too and is trying to quit taking her Ativan.  The doctor put her on Buspar and is weaning her off the Ativan (I'm not sure I have this exactly right, but that's not the point) She was so upset about not being able to take the full dose of Ativan that last night she came into me and said, "Maybe I have Bell's Palsy!  My whole side of my face feels like it's crooked and drooping!"  She looked totally normal, I told her to smile, it was normal - I told her it's anxiety and how that many people on this board get weird face issues - that seemed to help her.  So yes, ANY kind of sensation like that can be caused by anxiety.  Along with my goosebump sensation I get this WEIRD, WEIRD feeling down both my legs when I scratch my stomach or upper thigh!  (not numbness, not tingling, not goosebumps, not buzzing...  there is NO way to describe it!)  I told the doctor that too.   You know what he said?  He smiled and said, "Don't scratch"   Jeez...  (but he calmed me down and I'm not freaking out over the issue anymore)

It's not a goosebumps feeling. It feels like cold water is being sprayed on me. Plus with a off balance feeling and with the finger and toe pain/ ache it has really upset me. Plus when I saw the neurologisthe said that he would might suspect neuropathy if I wasn't so young.. so all of this together has me worried and anxious
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 06:41:05 PM »

It's not a goosebumps feeling. It feels like cold water is being sprayed on me. Plus with a off balance feeling and with the finger and toe pain/ ache it has really upset me. Plus when I saw the neurologisthe said that he would might suspect neuropathy if I wasn't so young.. so all of this together has me worried and anxious

Trust me, I had vibrations, pins and needles, and the weird sensation of water all over my legs and they have subsided as my anxiety subsided. It took awhile, a good 2 months, but eventually the sensations became less and less. Your nervous system is just in over-drive.
I also was found to have a low level of vitamin-d and iron, so you may want to check your blood for any vitamin deficiencies that may be lurking and contributing to any perceived sensations you are experiencing.
My neurologist suspected neuropathy - he said "small fiber neuropathy" and that is not what it turned out to be. Don't let it freak you out.
Bookmark and Share

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 08:27:09 AM »
A couple months later and I still feel like it could be neuropathy. I have this nerve pain whenever I put pressure on my index finger. Plus every once in a while I get a burning sensation in my palms or fingers
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 08:35:47 AM »
I have neuropathy due to chemo treatments. It affects my feet mostly but I have it my neck and shoulder area where surgery was done as well. It doesn't come and go. It's there all the time! It's also very painful at times. Imagine walking around feeling like you have scrunched up socks in your shoes, your feet are numb so you don't really feel cold or hot as you don't really have temp sensations but you do feel little ice picks stabbing you all the time.  Some days are a little better than others but it's always there and I take meds to help with the pain and discomfort.

Based on what you're describing, I would side with your doctors in that you don't display the usual symptoms of neuropathy and is most likely attributable to your anxiety.

Positive thoughts

Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Tags: