Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of not waking up  (Read 281 times)

Offline nat1225

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fear of not waking up
« on: May 19, 2014, 08:55:28 PM »
Lately I've suffered from really bad panic and anxiety attacks. My parents have tried everything to help me relax but nothing has worked. I know I was stressed out from finals ( i'm a senior in college) but I never expected to feel the way I do right now and the past week. I don't know if it's tension/stress/panic/ or anxiety; I have had this weird spasm I guess you would explain it on my left temple it kind of feels like a pulse too.I've taken my blood pressure 4 times and it was normal. It completely put me in a panic mood to the point where I barely was sleeping because I kept thinking about it. It's been a week and I still have it but i've yet to relax. Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, I don't know why but I've developed a fear. I'm afraid of going to sleep in fear I won't wake up. As soon as I lay in bed I get this deep almost gut feeling that I won't wake up. This is leading to some serious sleep deprivation. I don't know why I'm afraid, I was perfectly fine last week I would go to sleep. Now, I "sleep" (barely) with the thought in mind and that gut feeling I won't wake up. It honestly is taking a serious toll. Does anyone know some good relaxation techniques or advice to help me get over this fear? Thank you so much everyone! :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of not waking up
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 05:29:02 AM »
I would be asking myself ' why I should not wake up '? Make a list out. Reasons you fear you won't wake up. There has to be some reasons. We don't just think such things for nothing at all. Something put the idea in your head. Come the end of the night you need a form of distraction. Something to your mind off of yourself. I always have a radio on at night. It gives me something to focus on. Other than myself. I drift off listening to the radio. You fear is an irrational fear. One your mind has made up. Try make a list out and find out why you began to think that way. Then you can address the issue.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Lililanny

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 05:07:30 PM »
Hi nat1225,
I agree with Cuchculan that your fear has come from something and trying to figure out what, will help you solve it and hopefully get past your fear.
I have this fear too. Mine originated when I had an emergency operation, which I was awake for, common in the type of op I had (c section). The doctors were giving me drugs afterwards to relax me as I went into shock, and I remember telling them that I was afraid to fall asleep in case I never woke up again. Now sometimes when I'm lying in bed I get that pang of worry again, but I try to snap myself out of it and relax.
I also think that making a list is a good idea. Best of luck.
Bookmark and Share
Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got - Graffito

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 29
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 07:43:08 PM »
What better way would be there to go out?  Go to sleep not wake up?
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline Lililanny

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 03:21:30 PM »
While I agree with you, I don't want it to happen now or any time soon. In old age, it would be a different story.
Bookmark and Share
Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got - Graffito

Offline AP151

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 11:30:03 PM »
What better way would be there to go out?  Go to sleep not wake up?

I second this... I like to call it slipping away. If I'm going to die (I am), this is the way I'd want to go.
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Offline nat1225

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 08:11:08 PM »
Thank you guys!   
Bookmark and Share

Tags: