Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I Might Be on to Something!!  (Read 463 times)

Offline Breathless

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
I Might Be on to Something!!
« on: May 19, 2014, 05:56:13 PM »
Vague symptoms and health anxiety have plagued me for years. I've finally decided I'm not going to "react" to what my body does with fear. I've been working really hard on "ignoring" or "accepting" what I'm feeling and not reacting to it with fear. It's amazing how well this works. The vague symptoms and fears just go away. I don't let them control me anymore. This takes work so don't give up!
Bookmark and Share
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." Julius Caesar

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
Re: I Might Be on to Something!!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 05:58:34 PM »
I want to be part of the "solution" not the problem. I've been living in the problem too dang long.
Bookmark and Share
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." Julius Caesar

Offline ObiLaws

• Padawan
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Believe in the power of the mind
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 07:15:57 PM »
This is the kind of thinking health anxiety sufferers strive to achieve. It is very difficult but if we could just learn to ignore our odd/vague symptoms and relax, we'd all be a lot better off.
Bookmark and Share
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no death, there is the Force.

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 07:26:57 PM »
You should keep this open as a running thread and let us know how you are doing... maybe folks would benefit from watching you conquer HA.
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 07:44:06 PM »
Will do.

As a recovering alcoholic a certain fellowship has given me valuable tools to overcome my desire to drink. I have to work on it everyday but it works (if I work it).

I'm applying the same principles to my health anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 41
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 10:36:33 PM »
This sounds like a very sound plan - good luck!  You can do it!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 05:53:29 AM »
But HOW does one do this?  That's what I've been trying to figure out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 06:19:14 AM »
It reminds me of the scene in the movie "Lawrence of Arabia" where Lawrence, for no real reason, is holding his hand over a burning candle.

Another character says to him "God God Lawrence!  Doesn't that hurt?  Whats the trick?" to which Lawrence replies "Of course it hurts.  The trick is not minding that it hurts."
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 07:20:48 AM »
My mother's doctor told her unless it was chest pain, major bleeding type stuff, to ignore symptoms for 10 days. IF she still had the symptom or if it had worsened over the 10 days to come in. 

I TRY to do that and sometimes can figure out what something is within 24 hours or so or I forget about it and it goes away. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 02:47:34 PM »
It reminds me of the scene in the movie "Lawrence of Arabia" where Lawrence, for no real reason, is holding his hand over a burning candle.

Another character says to him "God God Lawrence!  Doesn't that hurt?  Whats the trick?" to which Lawrence replies "Of course it hurts.  The trick is not minding that it hurts."

My favorite movie of all time and yes that's it!!!

I am having a GREAT day! I had some vague psychosomatic symptoms and accepted them. They went away!
Bookmark and Share

Offline MLB2805

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 02:57:12 PM »
I've been telling myself over and over again "worrying about it isn't going to stop it from happening and to let it go" it's
Actually been helping .. Even if I say it
Multiple
Times a day
Bookmark and Share
You don't have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 03:17:48 PM »
I've been telling myself over and over again "worrying about it isn't going to stop it from happening and to let it go" it's
Actually been helping .. Even if I say it
Multiple
Times a day

That's it!! Sometimes it might be an all day effort but don't give up. It's like the old saying "if nothing changes, nothing changes". If we get stuck in worry, it's not going to get better. It's only when we choose to take action and go to any length does it get better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline BeeDot

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 06:15:46 PM »
I've had brief moments when I can do this.  I will just feel a random pain and force myself to think, "whatever, it's nothing" and go on with my day.  It's bliss when I can do that: )
Though…@ihadcancer, I have chest pain ALL the time, so that one is a little tricker for me.
Bookmark and Share
For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe.  -Author Unknown

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 06:03:26 PM »
Bump
Bookmark and Share

Offline jilllayy

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 06:06:06 PM »
I have been trying to do this as well! and for some things it works but i still do have some slip ups!

looking forward to seeing how this works for you!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: