Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Full feeling after eating small meals  (Read 269 times)

Online famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Full feeling after eating small meals
« on: May 19, 2014, 05:05:21 PM »
Well, this is a new symptom for me. 

Not sure why I'm experiencing this but for the past few days, every time I eat a small meal, I'll feel extremely full afterwards and it will last for hours.  I'm wondering if this could be due to high anxiety.

My anxiety level has been flying high for days due to heart palpitations that happen off and on.  Plus, I just feel so winded after simply walking across the room or going up the stairs.  I'm going to the cardiologist tomorrow to find out whether all of this is simply anxiety or something else.

What's weird is if I have a cup of tea, I will feel calm after I'm finished.  That sort of tells me that what I'm experiencing is anxiety, however, these are real feelings I'm having and not just my imagination.

So, just wondering if anyone else has had this sort of stomach/digestive/fullness issue because of anxiety.

Thanks for your replies.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Full feeling after eating small meals
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 05:45:46 PM »
Absolutely. When I'm going through serious anxiety, a small meal will leave me feeling almost miserable (at which point my fears about all sort of gastro disorders kick in). When I'm not in "anxiety mode", I can eat like a horse without any problem. I do know that people with GERD tend to experience this also. The words "early satiety" freak me out too, but it comes and goes, so it must be HA (as I'm sure yours is also).  God Bless.
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Online famv5

Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 05:54:01 PM »
Oh, good to know.  This is definitely something new that I'm experiencing.  I ate at noon and I'm still feeling super full.  I think at this point I'll be skipping dinner.  So weird. 

I'm definitely in a major anxiety time right now with the heart palpitations scaring me so much.  Hopefully, after my appt tomorrow I'll have a little more peace of mind. 

Thanks for replying. :)
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline doug65

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 11:48:56 AM »
I've experienced this as well.  I was so anxious, I discovered I was eating fast and swallowing a lot of air.  I make a conscious effort to slow down.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Online famv5

Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 12:12:04 PM »
That's a good suggestion.  I'm not a fast eater in general but I may be doing that due to anxiety and not even realize it.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 12:34:31 PM »
I had that too along with a daily pressure pain in my mid stomach - went on for 13 months.  Got an endoscopy due to the pressure pain (never mentioned the other thing to the doctor) and I had NOTHING wrong, absolutely NOTHING.  So yes, anxiety can wreak havoc on your stomach in many ways.
Personally I always feel full for a LONG time after eating (if I eat OUT at 10am I can't even eat the rest of the day!)  But what I was referring to in the paragraph above was that I'd eat about a quarter of what I'd usually eat and get full real fast.
Bookmark and Share

Offline menboong

• keep on keepin' on
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 01:23:14 PM »
Anxiety can definitely cause these symptoms. I experienced the same thing starting in February of this year. I would get full quickly and have this sensation that the food was just sitting in my stomach like a brick even after the smallest of meals. My doctor assumed it was an acid reflux problem, so she put me on various PPIs which had little effect on the symptoms. One night the discomfort was so bad, and my anxiety at an all-time high because "gastric cancer" came up when I googled my symptoms, that I decided to go to the ER. They did full lab work, an abdominal CT scan, and an abdominal ultrasound. Everything checked out perfectly normal.

For the past month now, I've been on Prozac after accepting that it was probably my anxiety causing the symptoms. The medication, along with daily meditation, have improved my symptoms immensely. I hardly ever get that bloated feeling anymore, and when I do, I notice that it quickly goes away with a few minutes of deep breathing.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: